Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Valet Mode for '96 Civic EX Coupe w/ honda alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Default Valet Mode for '96 Civic EX Coupe w/ honda alarm?

My honda security system manual lists somethings called "valet mode" but the instructions for toggling this mode say they are only valid for theCX & DX models.

So I'm wondering why I can't enable "valet mode" for my '96 EX which (back when I bought it) I thought should have all features of a DX and more...

I've been having trouble with my alarm going off randomly every now and then (the dealership has already failed twice trying to fix this at a total cost of $500, but that's another story...) soI thought putting it into "valet mode" could effectively solve my problem without having to pay someone to rip the system out.

Is it supposed to be a *feature* to NOT have "valet mode"? If not, I wonder why the CX & DX support the "valet mode" feature with the Honda alarm but my EX doesn't? (Sure enough, the instructions listed for the CX & DX in my manualdon't work for my EX). It simply seems as if the EX model cannot be put into "valet mode" at all and I'm wondering why or if I'm missing something.

I tried posting this questionthe other daywith a title about "disabling" the alarm which was perceived as something potentially criminal. I hope I have successfully avoided any suchimplications here, but if not, I'm sure people will tell me.

Thanks for any help.