Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Valet Switch Not Working, can't enter program mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Question Valet Switch Not Working, can't enter program mode

Hello, I have a 96 Honda Civic EX that I bought off my uncle. He's never done any mods to it, etc. It still has the original stereo in the car and it has the stock keyless entry. I've replaced the batteries in both fobs the other day, and both flash a red light when a button is pressed.

I need to reprogram them. So I put the key in the on position (II), but the issue I am having is that when I go to hold the valet switch down, nothing happens. My locks never cycle as mentioned in the directions to let me know I'm in the programming mode. I've tried continuing the procedure and it always fails. I'm not sure what could be causing my valet switch not to work, but I'm thinking maybe it's a fuse? I need some input.

Help is much appreciated

Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the radio otherwise work? Does it come back to the same station (i.e. not reset to 88.5) when you turn the key off and back on? If it does not, check the "BACK UP" fuse under the hood in the box near the battery.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 AM

Yes, the radio works normally. When I turn the key off and on, the radio keeps the same station that I previously had it on.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:03 PM

I just checked the fuse for the keyless, it was perfectly fine. Is it somehow disabled?
I've tried pressing lock on the fob 6 times with no luck.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by TroySleepwalker22
Hello, I have a 96 Honda Civic EX that I bought off my uncle. He's never done any mods to it, etc. It still has the original stereo in the car and it has the stock keyless entry. I've replaced the batteries in both fobs the other day, and both flash a red light when a button is pressed.

I need to reprogram them. So I put the key in the on position (II), but the issue I am having is that when I go to hold the valet switch down, nothing happens. My locks never cycle as mentioned in the directions to let me know I'm in the programming mode. I've tried continuing the procedure and it always fails. I'm not sure what could be causing my valet switch not to work, but I'm thinking maybe it's a fuse? I need some input.

Help is much appreciated

I singed up just to figure this out!

I'm having the same problem and its driving me nuts, the exact same problem as described above, I have a 1997 honda civic si with power locks and stock radio and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get this to work!

Any help is appreciated! Feel free to email me at jacoblombardo@hotmail.com

Thanks