Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Very strange overheating, unknown reason, many parts replaced already

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks for all your advise. I will get it done as soon as I get some money saved up.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM

I was able to pass smog by replacing the radiator cap and thermostat and the upper hose was spongy because the previous owner put on colored duct tape for looks. Found the radiator cap missing the spring so might be the cause. However, someone from honda said that the car should not shoot coolant to the overflow when it gets warm if all the air is out of the system. Is that true? Should it shoot some coolant to the overflow when it gets warm or do I have a hairline crack on my headgasket causing it to shoot a little coolant to the overflow? Does ur car shoot coolant to the overflow after you replaced the head gasket? Where did you get the smog sniff tool? The guys at autozone looked at me with a blank stare when I asked them.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The reservoir should slowly fill up as the system heats up, and return to the original fill level (near the "cold" line) as it cools down with the engine off. No "shooting."

Run the engine with the radiator cap off. If bubbles and / or coolant blow out of the radiator when you rev it, the head gasket is bad. This is best done with the engine cold to avoid the possibility of burning yourself from hot coolant. A more conclusive test is to use a smog sniffer at the radiator neck while running with the cap off. There should be no exhaust gases (CO, HC) in the radiator. A leaking head gasket will put gases similar to what come out the tailpipe into the cooling system.

The smog sniff tool is a large investment for an individual, you would have to go to a garage in an area where smog tests are conducted.

Last edited by mk378; 12-05-2012 at 01:03 PM.