Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 DX hatch Auto Tranny Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM
HCF Member
Default 94 DX hatch Auto Tranny Issue

Went to the post office today. When I went to leave I put the car in reverse and nothing happened. It was like I was in neutral. (auto)
I put in in neutral and then park then reverse and it did the same thing then slammed into gear. I left and drove home.
Got home and put it into reverse. It started grinding. Went through the gears and back to reverse and it was still grinding, then popped into gear.

Any thoughts? I can't imagine low fluid would cause the grinding although I haven't checked it yet. Think the shift cable is misaligned? Or do you think something is going out in the tranny?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

Problem has been located. When the shop did the oil change 5 weeks ago, they didn't put the tranny dipstick back in tight after checking the fluid level. Why it took 5 weeks to happen I can't explain but today the dipstick shifted and got caught in the tranny. It ground off part of the dipstick in the middle and bent it.
I bought 9 quarts of Honda fluid and had them do a full fluid change. Drain, fill drive, 3 times. I will go back in a week or 2 and have it drained and filled one more time to see if any more metal is trapped by the magnet.
They are ordering a new dipstick and have agreed to cover the tranny for issues for 1000 miles. I have to give them credit for not trying to fight it since it was 5 weeks ago.
They were actually very nice and apologetic about the situation and offered a free oil change when I get back from my trip.

So at least at this point I don't need to replace the tranny, which is good as that was not in the budget.