Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

vtec 4400 rpms? butterflys at 5700? B18 obd1. n ot working...help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Default vtec 4400 rpms? butterflys at 5700? B18 obd1. n ot working...help?

Alright, i made a post before and a couple of you guys helped out a lot, but i didnt get it working, i did find that my ecu is working fine and selenoid and pressure switch, i ran a test wire to the selenoid power wire and grounded the other side to the battery and the light comes on at 4400rpms...

so what im wondering is, what rpm does the butterflys come on, is it 5700? and what do you have to do to convert a LS engine non-vtec to a vtec? i have the obd1 ECU, do you have to drill out the head or what? i have the jumper cables for the ecu also.

my mechanic is convinced 4400rpm is when gsr butterflies activate and vtec is at 6800 haha...but ive looked it up, he thinks the reason its not working is cause the wires may be backwards and i need to swap the gsr selenoid wire with the vtec so it will be back to working condition...

tell me what you guys think

Old 10-30-2008, 01:51 PM
HCF Member

I used to have a 95 GSR with B18C1. 5700 sounds about right for the secondaries to open, but only if youve got your foot in the gas pedal. They dont open at hi-rev & LIGHT-load.

Do you have the vacuum storage bottle that sits below the intake manifold? Along with the IAB solenoid & its wiring to the ECU?
(IAB = intake-air bypass = the real name for the secondaries)

Old 10-30-2008, 03:16 PM

yes i do, and i checked the wiring tonight and all is good.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 AM
HCF Member

Got battery voltage on the hot wire at the IAB solenoid? The hot wire has power all the time. The ECU switches the ground side of the circuit.

Almost all control solenoids on Hondas have power all the time. The ECU switches the ground side of each circuit. The VTEC solenoid is the only thing I can remember that operates by switching the hot side of its circuit.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:11 AM

alright so with the car running if i hook a test light up to the iab, i should have power correct? what do i have to take off to get to the iab..like the manifold or whats the easiest way and ill do that. thing thqat gets me is wouldnt vtec still work without iab? i just got a new code, i got rid of the pressure valve switch and now its 21 which is vtec selenoid i think...but i just put a differant one on...

so i was more focused on the vtec not iab, for all i know iab works but im not sure.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:48 AM
HCF Member

I think VTEC should still work without the IAB working. Especially in the RPM range between 4400-5700... But in the first post you say that VTEC DOES work.

The IAB butterflys themselves are in the manifold. Theres a vacuum diaphragm down there underneath the curled upper runners, alongside the left shock tower. (Left = USA drivers side)
Somewhere down there (dont remember exactly) is the IAB solenoid valve. Two wires. One of those wires will have battery voltage all the time (when running). I dont remember whether that is a normally-open or normally-closed valve.

You wont see the IAB open, because if you simply rev to 5700 with no load, they arent supposed to open. You could use a MityVac to apply vacuum to the IAB diaphragm just to verify that it works.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:38 AM

I said its getting power..but vtec no it doesnt work either...

ill try the IAB, i checked it out a little bit the other day, im sorta waiting on my steering rack to beat on it anymore haha.

ill try the vaccuum thing..my CEL light says 21 now by the way not 22 anymore.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:28 AM
HCF Member

22 is the VTEC oil pressure switch, as if the oil pressure were insufficient for VTEC.

21 is the VTEC solenoid, may be bad connections, or even a bad solenoid.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:46 PM

Alright im going to put my stock vtec selenoid back on, im pretty sure the only other thing the problem could be is that its something in the topend...so i might go through it and see if anythigns blocked off...from the people who did the head work they coulda blocked something off or idk..if i wanted to do that, where do i start?