Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird battery stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:01 PM
HCF Member
Default Weird battery stuff?

Ok so today i bought i new positive terminal for my 02 civic ... So im driving and the srs light will come on and go off and my capacitor(for my subs) will beep my battery light sometime flashes my rpms and temp and gas and tach will drop and for them to come back on ill have to shut off my car and my hids will flicker and the right one will go out.... Its a brand new alternator i checked the wires the negative terminal is also about 2 weeks old... nothing is lose but i think it has something to do with the battery maybe only cuz it was not doing this before? does anyone have any idea?! it bothers me a lot haha oh yea also i dont know if this contributes but when i put my radio at or over 55 it will shut off.. like theres not enough juice or something.. but my radio has been acting up lately.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:34 PM

The SRS light is an odd symptom to me. Have you had the new alternator actually tested? Just because it's brand new doesn't mean that it's working properly. I'd take the car to your local Advance or Auto Zone and have them test your alternator and battery. They'll do it for free.

You mentioned a capacitor and subs. How many watts are you running? And have you always had the capacitor?

Old 11-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

seems like a loose connection on the battery or a bad ground

Old 11-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Also check whether the alternator belt is loose.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:37 PM
HCF Member

i have the subs and amp and cap for a while now never gave me an issue its saying i got like 10.58 volts or so.. but none of this is giving me a problem if my headlights are on.. like it has more juice or something...

I don't see it being a bad ground only cuz i got a new terminal and theres only 2 or so on the motor itself which tomorrow i am swapping out for 8ga wire..

and what would be wrong if i had a loose alternator belt? possibly not getting enough juice to cover that battery??

i have 2 readings for volts one on my Apexi NEO AFC which says usually 13.7 and the cap which says 10.58 or so ..

Do you think that when that battery died it might have lost juice and can't fully recooperate? cuz it died a little while back maybe the new alternator can't juice up the old battery??

Old 11-12-2008, 12:40 AM
HCF Member

If the alternator belt was loose you'd hear it squeel when you accelerated....

Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You will need a handheld volt ohm meter for this.

With the engine OFF, turn on the headlights but nothing else. Set your meter for DC volts.

Measure the voltage across the battery at the actual battery posts (not the terminals, there is a difference). If less than 12.0 volts, recharge or replace the battery.

Next test each connection by measuring the voltage across it. Put one lead on the battery post, and the other on the terminal. You should have very nearly zero volts (less than 0.1 volts). Any connection that has excessive voltage drop needs to be cleaned, tightened, replaced, etc. Continue with one lead on the terminal and one on the wire, etc. until you've done the whole circuit, on both the positive and the ground sides.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:13 AM
HCF Member

Thanks for the help guys .. i found it was a lil ground from the motor to the chassis ... that was barely loose ... how dumb haha