Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird TPS problem..

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Default Weird TPS problem..1997 honda civic ex

I have looked at the other Throttle Position Sensor threads and none are like mine, so hopefully someone can relate or know what to do.

I have a 1997 Honda Civic EX and almost 4 months ago I started getting spiking rpms while driving and a high idle at 2k, note that it wouldn't do this every day, it was like a hit or miss kind of thing. I had a CEL so I got codes pulled and it called for a TPS problem. So I bought a new tps and my buddy put it on and calibrated it to 4.5 and 0.5, after that everything has been completely fine. Then a week ago it all started again, except the high idle. This time though the rpms would go up a slight bit then down at a fast rate till i gave it more gas to push it through. The engine light came back on and I pulled the same code for the tps. Replaced the TPS, calibrated, perfectly fine. NOW it has messed up AGAIN, same code as well. But so far it hasn't had the rpm spiking problem it just takes a bit of higher rpms to shift and when I drop it from park to rev, d4, d3, d2 it jerks the car hard..So I'm thinking it could be a faulty wire somewhere causing it to mess up every now and then and not all the time? I would think that if it was the TPS it would be a constant thing. That is the suggestions I have been getting. Any ideas?

Last edited by FantmClwd; 10-06-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 AM

anyone? This is really important to me, i love my car and I dont want to drive it in this condition.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 AM
TS1
Default TPS Problem

Originally Posted by FantmClwd
I have looked at the other Throttle Position Sensor threads and none are like mine, so hopefully someone can relate or know what to do.

I have a 1997 Honda Civic EX and almost 4 months ago I started getting spiking rpms while driving and a high idle at 2k, note that it wouldn't do this every day, it was like a hit or miss kind of thing. I had a CEL so I got codes pulled and it called for a TPS problem. So I bought a new tps and my buddy put it on and calibrated it to 4.5 and 0.5, after that everything has been completely fine. Then a week ago it all started again, except the high idle. This time though the rpms would go up a slight bit then down at a fast rate till i gave it more gas to push it through. The engine light came back on and I pulled the same code for the tps. Replaced the TPS, calibrated, perfectly fine. NOW it has messed up AGAIN, same code as well. But so far it hasn't had the rpm spiking problem it just takes a bit of higher rpms to shift and when I drop it from park to rev, d4, d3, d2 it jerks the car hard..So I'm thinking it could be a faulty wire somewhere causing it to mess up every now and then and not all the time? I would think that if it was the TPS it would be a constant thing. That is the suggestions I have been getting. Any ideas?
I have a very similar problem. Did u manage to figure it out?