Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird vibrations????

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Default Weird vibrations????

Here's my story. My wife has an 02 Civic Ex that she bought new before we were married. It's been a great car and has given us little trouble. I've done several maintainence projects on the car as they were needed. I've replaced the struts, battery, headlights (they were really oxidized) and everything was going great. Well, the car has 145k on it, so I decided it was a good time for a timing belt change. I bought a new timing belt and tensioner pully and new drive belts. As I was taking things off to do the timing belt, I notice the drivers side motor mount (the one with a shock in it) was busted. So I bought a new one. At the end of the day, I had replace the timing belt and tensioner pulley, drive belts, and the drivers side motor mount. After I finished, we took the car for a test drive. We drove about 15 miles and it ran great. Here's where it gets weird. After we test drove it, we went home and parked the car. The next day when I went to use the car, when I started it, it was vibrating at idle. It wasn't missing or anything just vibrating. I immediately thougth, bad motor mounts. I replaced the front mount and it was completely busted. It still vibrated. I ordered the other two mounts, the transmission mount and the rear mount, and just finished changing them out this morning. The transmission mount looked a little rough, but was still intact. The rear was broken. I got the new ones on and started it and it still vibrates. I'm puzzled. I've replaced all 4 mounts, 3 of which were broken and it still vibrates. It runs smooth and doesn't miss. I've pulled the timing belt cover and checked it and the timing is dead on. The only other thing I can think of is the harmonic balancer is bad. I'm open to all ideas and suggestions. Come one come all, let's here your ideas. Thanks for reading my book.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Default RE: Weird vibrations????

Bump! Come on guys, nobody has any ideas?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:16 AM
HCF Member

Did you buy oem motor mounts or aftermarket? some aftermarket mounts help the engine not move as much, but they do make you feel the engine more.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:35 AM

The driver's side mount (w/ shock in it) was a brand that Autozone carries. The front was also an Autozone part. The trans. mount and rear mount are Honda parts. I did the driver's side and front first thinking that was it. But it was still vibrating, so I did the other two. The weird thing is that it was smooth immediately after I did the timing belt. It was the next day that it started vibrating.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Bump. Has anyone had their stock harmonic balancer go out?