Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird whining?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM
HCF Member
Default Weird whining?

Hi all,

So.. Got the oil back in my 91, (PCV Valve is ordered and delivered tomorrow) and I started her up, gave it a couple minutes to warm up, then had my dad watch under the hood because it was still making the weird whining noise I've never heard before, he said there was a little exhaust coming up from down around the exhaust manifold, didn't look like from directly on the head, maybe from down below where the exhaust pipe connects to it?

All I know is the whining is new, and the engine doesn't sound 100%, and when I first started it up, it smelled a little bit like unburned gas comin out the tailpipe...

Is it possible that air is being sucked in from there and causing the whining or is it something else?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 PM

Air being sucked through the exhaust pipe at the back of the car making a noise in the front of the car? No.

Try to listen around the engine bay and find out where the noise is coming from. The description of "whining noise" could be anything like belts, bearings for the belt tensioners, distributor, anything that is moving while at idle to be honest. Does the noise change when when you rev the motor?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM
HCF Member

the leak is down where the exhaust hooks to the header from the looks of it.. Would a leak from there cause the whining?

And when I rev the engine it just sounds more whiny, and like its not getting full power

If I could get a video with my phone would it help?