Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What is the Best Generation Civic? - Thinking of Buying

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:14 AM
HCF Member
Default What is the Best Generation Civic? - Thinking of Buying

First things first, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but here goes:

Right now I drive a 2005 Kia Optima 4cyl with 137k, which has been a great little car over the years. However, in a few years when it does finally bite the dust, I am going to go with a Civic. My parents both drive Hondas and have over 160k on theirs, and they have been extremely reliable vehicles. I have been looking at the different generations of Civics, and it is all a bit overwhelming. I want the best mileage, but I also want something that's going to last me at least 5+ years, if I keep up with it mechanically. I also would love for it to be easy enough for me to work on.

The Kia has a DOHC motor, and I just replaced the timing belt and crank shaft position sensor, and I only consider myself a novice mechanic. I'm mentioning this because I don't know if I should go with a Civic with a SOHC, DOHC, or V-Tech engine. The most important thing to me is gas mileage. I want it to be able to "get up and go," but my wild days of speeding all over the place are over. Is there one generation which is more reliable than the others? Is there something in particular I should be on the lookout for? As of now, I've just been keeping an eye on the local Craigslist ads. It does seem like Honda is overpriced because everyone wants one right about now. Any tips on getting one at a fair price?

Thanks in advance for the help!

**Edit: Moderator, I was trying to delete this thread because I think it's in the wrong section**

Last edited by Koko4; 01-25-2012 at 08:58 PM.