Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Window channel stripping folding outwards (2010 EX sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 03:22 AM
Default Window channel stripping folding outwards (2010 EX sedan)

Hello, everyone. This is my first time posting here, and being still a learner when it comes to some things, I may not be using proper terminology, so bear with me and correct me as needed so that I can have an easier time communicating.

I recently bought a 2010 Civic EX sedan with only 34,000 miles on it - everything was in good shape, but I was of course worried about some issues since, low mileage it may be, it's still spent ten years living in northern Ohio weather. I have noticed when opening the driver's side window while it is wet(as I work newspaper delivery, this happens a lot on rainy nights), it struggles to open - it's a power window, and it will open is jolts rather than smoothly, often clicking as it does so. A bit of WD-40 fixes this for a couple nights, but it always comes back - on the advice of a friend I used with lithium grease for a seemingly more permanent fix. Recently, I noticed that when closing, the weather stripping on the window channel(outside-back of the driver's window, specifically) folds outwards is some spots - it folds inwards everywhere else on every other window. I notice near the top of it there is a crack where this tendency to fold outwards begins.

I am wondering for one thing if this might be somehow contributing to the issues with it opening while wet. But more importantly, how big of an issue is this, and how do I fix it? I'm worried that with it doing this, it is not sealing properly and might be letting water into places it is not meant to reach.

If needed, I will post images as soon as I can - my camera sucks so I'll need very good lighting to get a sufficient photo. It's too early in the day for that right now, even with the lighting in my garage.

Thank you in advance for any and all help you can provide.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:14 AM

I can now confirm there there is extra wind noise from the back of this window at speeds over 30 MPH. I really need some help with this issue.