Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter and my civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:00 AM
Default Winter and my civic

I think you already know my problem. Car won't start anymore. For the past couple days as soon as it got colder outside, my car was getting harder and harder to start. Any ideas?

I have a honda Civic SE 2000. It has fuel, all my lights in dash are on aswell as radio when I have the key turned slightly. Then when I try to start, the engine is trying to start up, but it hangs. When I keep trying it, seems the battery doesn't have enough juice to try anymore.

I have some idea of whats going on. I know it could be a multitude of things like fuel injectors, Battery, Starter, distributer.

Any help would be appreciated. Also do error codes apply for my civic? (checking lights etc under passenger side dash?..)

Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 AM

How cold? And where are you located? Already sounds like an older battery that doesnt have the cold crank amps. You can take it to Advance or Autozone to have it tested for free, charged too, if you have one of those where you are. Then try again once it's fully charged. Does your check engine light come on for a few seconds then turn off?

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 01-16-2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: the fish are slanted and require beards
Old 01-16-2009, 06:10 AM

When I turn the key towards to start but before the starting position, my engine light goes on then turns off. Also the battery light is on along with normal lights like e-brake and seatbelt, etc. I hear the buzzing sound at the back, assuming its my fuel pump. I also hear a ticking sound coming from the right passenger dashboard.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by itsfliproduct
When I turn the key towards to start but before the starting position, my engine light goes on then turns off. Also the battery light is on along with normal lights like e-brake and seatbelt, etc. I hear the buzzing sound at the back, assuming its my fuel pump. I also hear a ticking sound coming from the right passenger dashboard.
That means your check engine light is working right with no error codes and that the fuel pump is priming correctly. The battery light stays on to show you that you are using power while the key is in position II while the engine is not running.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:13 AM

I live in Canada, Toronto Area. It's about -18 degrees Celsius. That's equivalent to -0.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:15 AM

Does the engine light also tell me other factors such as distributers, sparks, are all working?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by itsfliproduct
Does the engine light also tell me other factors such as distributers, sparks, are all working?
To some degree, yes.

Try charging or replacing your battery. Also clean the posts and connectors with steel wool to allow for good electrical contact.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:18 AM

It is possible that those temperatures are making your oil really thick, which makes it harder for the engine to turn and start.

The fact that there is no check engine light (CEL) means that the onboard sensors havent found any problems. You can test the plugs and distributor, but I don't remember exactly how. Someone will come through and tell you exactly what to do and where to ground the pug so you can see whether or not you have a strong blue spark.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 AM

How much would a tune up cost me if I replace all sparks? I know a bettery is going to cost me around 100$ here in canada.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:32 AM

Its best to check/charge your battery first so you have full power, then check for spark to see if you NEED to do a tune up. It's something you can definitely do yourself if you have a spark plug socket and a ratchet with an extender. Spark plugs are pretty cheap. You can swap them yourself for about $12 plus tax here in the states. Bosch Platinums are about $3/apiece. For you, under $20.

Quick Reply: Winter and my civic