Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Winter and my civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:38 AM

Ahh, ok yah Ill try that first. Does anyone know how to check and change it. I can do the research but if any one knows that would be greatful.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:05 AM

To check for spark: Disconnect one of your spark plug wires and remove one of your plugs. Insert the plug into the end of the wire. With the plug threads grounded on the valve cover, have someone else crank the engine. You should see bright blue sparks (not weak orange sparks) at the tip of the plug. [edit]You should do this for each plug individually. This will tell you if the plugs, wires, and distributor are good.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:10 AM
HCF Member

Yea check the battery first. It;s free and it will tell you a lot. It maybe the most expensive thing but it's better than spending money on other stuff and end up having to replace the battery anyway. Plugs are like $1.90 a piece. do it your self for under 10 bucks. NGK v-power. ONLY! Use what honda puts in from the factory. (if you decide to swap plugs that is.)

Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by V8DIET
NGK v-power. ONLY! Use what honda puts in from the factory.
(oops. I just snagged what was on sale. Does it really make THAT much of a difference?)

Old 01-16-2009, 07:41 AM
HCF Member

Not really it's more of a preference than anything. I've had bad luck with Bosch tho. So I just like to stick with OEM. It's weird that bosch's were on sale though. They are usually more expensive than NGk's.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 AM
HCF Member

Being a fellow Ontarian, I can tell you that NGK V-powers are about 7.99 for 2 at Canadian Tire and NGK G-power (platinum) are 9.99 for 2. I grabbed the G-power cause I figured 2 dollars more for platinum was a deal and My car runs great on them.

But yeah, This morning it was prob about -22C (-5F) down here in Windsor and my car struggled to start at first, I have a 97 EX.

But get you battery checked and if you have a block heater, use it. I would probably guess that your oil is thick due to the cold and that it is putting too much strain on your starter and your car will not turn over.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:05 AM
HCF Member

I'd go this route before I pay 5.00 per plug. Thats crazy, I had no idea the prices were so different.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories

Old 01-16-2009, 09:35 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by V8DIET
I'd go this route before I pay 5.00 per plug. Thats crazy, I had no idea the prices were so different.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories
Yeah with shipping and the exchange that ends up cost MORE then driving to the store =P

Old 01-16-2009, 09:49 AM
HCF Member

Oh.. Canada is weird eh?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:24 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by itsfliproduct
I think you already know my problem. Car won't start anymore. For the past couple days as soon as it got colder outside, my car was getting harder and harder to start. Any ideas?

I have a honda Civic SE 2000. It has fuel, all my lights in dash are on aswell as radio when I have the key turned slightly. Then when I try to start, the engine is trying to start up, but it hangs. When I keep trying it, seems the battery doesn't have enough juice to try anymore.

I have some idea of whats going on. I know it could be a multitude of things like fuel injectors, Battery, Starter, distributer.

Any help would be appreciated. Also do error codes apply for my civic? (checking lights etc under passenger side dash?..)
If the car won't turn over:

Don't bother checking the fuel or spark. That's putting the cart before the horse. The battery/starter isn't strong enough to turn the motor over. Typically when a starter begins to go bad, it will spin sometimes without fully engaging the flywheel. Then it will just quit working. When the battery starts to go bad, it will typically have a harder and harder time getting the engine to turn over. Improper oil viscosity for winter will cause problems too. Check your owner's manual for the proper oil to run in your climate. Error codes do not apply in this case. Try jumpstarting the car. If it properly jumpstarts fine, your battery is suspect. If it cranks better, but does so very slowly, your battery AND your oil viscosity are suspect.

If the car WILL turn over, but it won't fire:

Then you'll want to check the fuel and spark. Start by pulling the error codes. If no codes, check the plugs for good spark, proper gap, and good contacts throughout the ignition system.

A Factory Service Manual is your best friend. Error codes DO apply to OBD I and II vehicles. Your 2000 Civic should be OBD II.

Quick Reply: Winter and my civic