Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Won't start after front end on jacks

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:03 PM
HCF Member
Default Won't start after front end on jacks

I've been doing a lot of work lately on the front suspension and other stuff that caused me to have my 92 EX on jack stands or ramps. Each time it will not start right away after I bring it down. It has a new fuel filter. Could a weak pump or some type of crapola in the lines do this? Other than that, it starts like a champ. One time it didn't start for a couple of minutes after being on the highway for 2 hours. I got out and pulled the throttle and got back in and it started. Doubt that pulling the throttle had anything to do with it but that's what happened.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Won't start after front end on jacks

The main relay should be resoldered or replaced if you haven't already. It's a common cause of the sometimes cranks but won't start symptom. When it is not starting, turn the key on but don't crank. You should hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds. Also during those 2 seconds the check engine light will come on, then it will go out. If it doesn't do that it's very likely the main relay.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:37 PM
HCF Member

99.9% of the time there is no problem cranking. It's just every time the front end is raised on jacks. Could that still be the main relay? Also, the CEL is coming on when the key is in the on position.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When it doesn't start, the starter doesn't go either? If it's the main relay it will sound normal like it's trying to start, but it won't fire.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

No. The starter works fine. What is making me think it is some kind of fuel problem is that it only happens when the front end is raised. If it were a relay, wouldn't it happen at other times as well? (It's only happened once when ithadn't been on jacks)

Where is the main relay and how do I check it?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: saiguanas
Where is the main relay and how do I check it?
http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html

Name:  picture_1158.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  81.5 KB

Old 07-08-2008, 06:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Won't start after front end on ja

But it doesn't only happen when the front end is raised. You said it also happened out on the road once. Trouble with the main relay is often sensitive to the temperature inside the car (where it is mounted), but not always.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:55 PM
HCF Member

99.0% of the time it happens when the car is cold and has had the front end raised. Tonight I parked in a space that was on an extreme incline and it didn't start the first time but I waited 10 seconds and it started right up. The last time it wasn't on a steep incline but it was very hot.

Other than those two times it has always been when the car was cold and the front end had been jacked up (nearly every time it is jacked up it acts this way). That's why I don't think temp is a huge factor. If it's doing this when it is cold and inclined, can it still be the main relay or does it have to be when it's hot?