Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Y7 to y8

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Default Y7 to y8

Hi about a month or two ago I swapped my y7 motor to a y8. I had a shop do the work and I'm reluctant to take my car back to them, they didn't seem to know what they were doing. But my questions are with having done the swap it seems that my car is a little slower off the line and the top speed is also slower, it's a 96 lx auto. Is it possibly that the transmission is keeping it from going faster. Some friends have said that maybe the shop didn't tune it correctly but I don't know much about swapping and doing all that stuff

Old 06-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the spark timing. That's all there is to "tune" on a stock setup. If they didn't swap the ECU and hook up the VTEC solenoid, it is going to run just like a Y7 because the VTEC will not work. Still it should not be slower.

It's not really a "swap" like using an entirely different engine series would be. Sounds like you're converting from a stock Civic DX to a stock Civic EX.

Last edited by mk378; 06-05-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 AM

Yea it was the lx to ex. They said they put in the ex ecu so I'll check out the timing and the solenoid thanks for the help

Old 06-05-2012, 10:35 AM

There is a writeup somewhere in the DIY section about setting your ignition timing. It's pretty straightforward but requires you to have a timing light. (Easy to use, rent from Autozone or something.)

Old 06-05-2012, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the help I'll be checking this weekend to see if it fixes my issues