New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

98 LX check engine light.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Default 98 LX check engine light.

I'm a pretty good back yard mechanic but most expierence is with non computer autos/boats.
My daughters 98 Lx Chck engine lite came on.Car runs and startsexcellent.Auto Zone said it appeared it just needed a tune up.I pulled the plugs.2 were finger tight,one was loose one tight.Loose one had stuff all over boot and plug porcilin.Daughter said it seemed toskip very rarely at highway speeds usually only seconds at a time.Plugs were ready for a change but not badly worn.Changed plugs and cleaned boot.Q is Would this problemcause a check engine lite and Will lite go off now or how would I turn it off.I've heard you can simply unhook the battery but don't want to try unless this is the suggested method.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:10 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 98 LX check engine light.

You can disconnect the negative side of the battery to reset it and it will turn off. Or you can take it to Autozone and they can get it turned off but if there is a problem it will come back on. If the plugs were bad it could've misfired a little bit and caused the CEL to come on.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 AM

Wow ,Thanks for the lightening quick reply.
I'll reset when she gets home from work..

Old 01-03-2007, 08:48 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Don't reset it until you know why it went off

go to autozone or something, have them read the code (and actually TELL you the code. It will be something like "P0420")

Old 01-03-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks MXS,Daughter called when she got to work.All is well the lite went off when she restarted after stopping for coffee.
Auto zone said "it appears to be missing occasionally perhaps it needs a tune up".Thanks for everyones help.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

I have a 97 civic, the same thing happened to me about a month back. Almost everyone I know drives a honda, so when I questioned, they said Honda tends to put 5 year spark plugs in their cars, and they work like a champ until 5 years and 1 month later. When mine started missing I picked up a set of NGK-R plugs and some new wires to swap out the colors, a trip to autozone gave me a free computer read out, and of course i bought the items from them *thats what they want you to do*. Yanked the battery cable off for 20 min, and after a re-start the light has remained off.

For cars that are 94 or older I think, autozone or another autoparts store can give you a free read or almost anything, but I believe some of the older cars have a different computer hook-up, one that most stores don't have on hand.

Honda's are amazing, there isn't much you can't tinker with on your own. Glad the light went off though!