New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Basic tuneup

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Default Basic tuneup

So this is my first Civic and need to know the following...I have a tad of mechanical experience becuase I had a Blazer and always did basic stuff to it like: changing oil, plugs, wires, pcv valves, egr valves, cleaning throttle bodie, changing brakes, just the basic stuff...
Need to know what to buy to do a complete tuneup:
All I can think of for the car should be: air filter, gas filter, belts, plugs, wires?
Please help...

Old 05-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Default RE: Basic tuneup

OOopsss........it's an '01 4 door civic EX...

Old 05-10-2006, 08:08 PM
HCF Member

welcome to the forum!!..there are soooo many things that need to be looked at and check, i would go get my manual and write it all down for you..but..go get a haynes manul at your local automotive store for $15 and it tells you EVERYTHING in there about tune ups and what times they should be done, how to do them, and what to look for..its like your car bible

Old 05-12-2006, 01:18 PM

I was told that my car does not use dist. cap nor dist. rotor? Does this mean that it has an electronic distributor?
I only bought plugs, wires, air filter, belts, oil, oil filter.
By the way I changed both a/c filters from the golve compartment, now the car is ice COLD!!!THought there was something major goin on with the a/c...thank God I bought this car, if it would've been my Chevy something sure would have been messed up $$$$$.......

Old 05-12-2006, 02:17 PM

When i do a tuneup on my 95 i buy new plugs, oil filter, and air filter. Since it's an 01 I don't think you need to change many gaskets or plug wires unless there's a leak or if the wires are bad. That's what i've always been told anyway.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:29 PM
HCF Member

I'll go and check my a/c filters too! Summer is here and I want the a/c to be as cold as I can get it
But I'm not quite sure where the filters are located.. behind the glove compartement you said?

ORIGINAL: superfestiva

By the way I changed both a/c filters from the golve compartment, now the car is ice COLD!!!

Old 05-13-2006, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

Your uses a COP igntion system, so no distributor. You have 4 ignition coils so there is not reason for a distributor. For a tune up, i would change the oil, get new spark plugs, new fuel filter, new air filter, new PCV valve. I don't think you need to change the EGR unless it doesn't work b/c those are a little expensive and i've never heard of them changed as a maintanance item. A/C filter wouldn't be a bad idea either. Also, check all the fluid levels, brake pads, tires, shocks and anything else you could think of.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:01 AM

I found both behind the glove compartment and they are held only by some clips...they were LOADED with dust, leaves, stones, etc. Now the a/c is ICE COLD!!

Old 05-15-2006, 08:14 AM

I looked for the PCV valve on the valve cover and it is not there like other cars...maybe this model does not have pcv valves? Or is it somewhere else?Dunno...

So far I have changed the a/c cabinet filters, intake air filter, plugs, both belts, poured a couple of Prestone injector cleaners, put 4 "v" rated new tires and will change the oil this saturday. All fluids look in OK condition except for the hydraulic fluid for the steering wheel, looks a bit dirty so I might change that this saturday also.
The timing belt got changed @ 60k miles as I was told so there's no need to change it for now ' cause it has 62K.
The car is running like a champ now.