New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Changing a headlamp can't be this hard

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Default Changing a headlamp can't be this hard

I just bought a 2001 Honda Civic for my daughter and 1 of the headlights is out. I bought a new one but can't figure out how to change it. I can't believe they make it this hard to figure out, but I just can'tsee it. I can pull the connector off from the inside but can't remove the bulb, and can't see any way of removing the front. Can anybody answer this really simple question. Thanks

Old 01-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Default RE: Changing a headlamp can't be this hard

are they aftermarket lights? i mean the whole headlight not the bulb. sometimes if you buy aftermarket headlights the bulbs dont fit and you have to adjust the bulb to make it fit which will make it hard to take out. but if it is stock you should be able to twist and pull it out.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 PM

They don't appear to be aftermarket. I can remove the connector but the bulb doesn't seem to budge much. I assume you take it out from the inside, right?

Old 01-22-2007, 05:07 PM
HCF Member

Most bulbs have a little metal spring type wire holding them in place, and on top of that is some sort of a dust cover / weather seal. The seal should be able to be removed by just pulling it away from the light, and then you should be able to see the bracket's holding the headlight bulb in place. Should be a squeeze type or push down and pull type of connector, then the bulb will be free to remove/replace.

I haven't looked at a 01's setup myself, I am just speaking from other bulbs I have replaced in similar vehicles. Hope you can make heads or tails of it.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:20 PM

You're right, I did see a spring type wire but wasn't sure what to make of it. Thanks, that should help!!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

Just be careful not to handle the bulb by its glass parts, try the best you can to hold it by the metal prongs, or plug on the back of it, and don't drop or scrape it against the housing.

If you do touch it, use some alcohol on a swap or Q-tip to clean it off, use the other end to help dry it faster, and remove any dirt or oil that you might have gotten on it. It helps to use a set of latex gloves, I always keep a 10 pack on hand.

Should be a simple swap out install, no aiming will be needed, as long as none of the aiming switches have been moved.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Eun

Yup. Shouldn't be too hard unless you mess up really bad.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:31 PM

Thanks, I got it!!! Had to get my daughter to help me because her hands are smaller and it's so tight in there. Took us about a 1/2 hour just to get the new bulb in!! The wire that holds it in is very trickey to work with, and it's so tight!!!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:50 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, it can be alittle tricky doing it on the 7th gens. My mom has an 01 civic and the light burnt out aswell. Really cramped in there with the battery right behind the headlight, and yeah the wire is really tight and you don't want to force it and accidently break something lol.