New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Considering buying a civic for my first car

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:57 PM
HCF Member
Default Considering buying a civic for my first car

Hey everybody, I'm considering getting a civic for my first car. A friend of a friend is selling his civic, and I was wondering what you all thought of it was a good deal. It's a 1994 EX coupe, with 200,000 miles on it, but the previous owner rebuilt the engine back in Dec., it's primed, has enkei rims, AEM intake, angel eye headlights, euro tails, and Tokiko shocks. There's no exhaust on it, the clutch is slipping, and the driver's side window requires some assistance when rolling it up. Also, a headlight is out and the tires need to be alligned, and might need a camber kit. My friend drove it, and he noticed no major problems with it except the weak clutch, and I trust his judgement. The seller is asking around $1400-$1600, and will throw in a stage 2 clutch, and both a regular and short shifter, plus some other extras he's yet to specify. So my question is, do you think that's a good deal? And how would you compare it to the craiglist ads listed below? Thanks for all your help and input, I really appreciate it!

Here are the alternatives from craigslist:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...326864076.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...326735033.html

Old 05-08-2007, 06:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Considering buying a civic for my first car

i personally think your friend is giving you a good deal. dont buy the f irst one, because it is GAY and has a sub built into the dash wich i think is STUPID

Old 05-08-2007, 10:04 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I definately thought the sub was retarded, and the new deal with the friend of a friend is the car, plus a stage 3 crane cam, titanium springs, titanium valves and titanium retainers, ARP head struts, an extra transmission, the stage 2 clutch, and both shifters for 2k, and he'll install everything except the titanium parts for $500.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:15 PM
HCF Member

Wow, don't buy either of those linked cars. I hope the one your friend is getting you is a lot nicer than those ones. The first one has a SUB in the GLOVEBOX and the second one has trash can lid rims. Haha.

With all that stuff you're getting in the deal, it sounds pretty good. Especially the new Stage 2 clutch.

Do you know how to drive a stickshift? Because you said your friend drove it and not you.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:16 PM
HCF Member

My friend drove it because I'm up at college, and he lives right next to the seller. Plus, my friend knows more about cars, and is friends with the seller. And the car definately seems nicer than the other cars, but then again I'm not very well versed in cars. More than wondering about the linked cars, I was curious whether the other car was a good deal. I'm more inclined to purchase the car from an acquaintance by me since he's close, and I don't think he'd mislead my friend. The deal is that I can either buy the car and clutch for a straight $1600, or spend the full 2k and get all the added goodies. Also forgot to mention he's throwing in a new head gasket, a new intake manifold and a spare bumper(?).

Old 05-09-2007, 05:31 PM

if you buy the one with the sub in the dash, i'd take it out first thing! never seen anything like that, and i hope i never do again! good luck with the purchase either way!

Old 05-09-2007, 06:41 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for all the advice, I've definately decided on getting my friends civic, I'm picking it up on Saturday for the full 2k so I get all the titanium parts and other goodies. I'll post pics soon, it's going to be a project, so I'll definately take a series of progressive pics.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 AM

200,000 miles? rebuild or not, thats pretty high. its not just the engine that has travelled the milage remember. check driveshafts, and all running gear. plus transmission.
and ask yourself this....why is he selling it so cheap? could be he's trying to blind your judgement with all the fancy extras. you can get a car with much less miles and much less wrong with it for the same money.
unless you REALLY need a stage 2 clutch or whatever. and how do u know that's not broken either?

Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 AM

ALso, if the engine was rebuilt in december, why the hell would you need aNEW head gasket? its a honda, not a MG Rover!!!!unless he did a rubbish job, and is expecting the engine to die very soon.
besides, gasket sets cost very little (in england anyway), i really wouldnt let that small item affect your decision.