New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Girl determined to learn how to work on cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Question Girl determined to learn how to work on cars

hi my name is robyn and I'm a girl who can barely change a tire. My 99 honda civic was stolen and sat in impound for almost a year. I have since lost my license so I am going to take the time to learn how to work on it by myself. I've been searching all kinds of sites and decided to start with the small easy stuff to at least tune it up. I was advised to change the belts but I am clueless what exactly they are called. I know the timing belt and alternator belt.. my manual says theres a compresion belt which i can't find on any part list. Ive heard about serpentine belts.. are these all drive belts?? i am so confused... any guidance would help. I learn from reading so i know if I find the right info I could do it all myself.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM

Welcome. The manual means "compressor" belt, for the AC.

There are 4 belts on your Civic: Timing belt, power steering belt, alternator belt, and the compressor belt.

Other styles of engines have a serpentine belt, but Hondas do not.

Here's something that will help you understand everything there is to know about that car: the factory service manual in PDF format. Download it. Skim through it. <3 it.

http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto...e%20Manual.zip

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 06-20-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 PM

Thank you so much!!! I have been looking for the answer to such a simple question for a week and you just helped me out in the matter of minutes!!