New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Looking to upgrade---HELP!!

Old 07-04-2005, 03:57 AM
Default Looking to upgrade---HELP!!

He guys, I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 2002 Civic EX, which I believe is the 1.7 VTEC. Basically, I'm looking for help. I am not looking to race my car, however I would like to boost the HP to smoke some local G-Rides. Any suggestions? I was looking into the AEM V2, DC Sports headers, and possibly a turbo. As far as exhaust goes, I want a deep throaty sounding exhaust. No offense to anyone, but I can't stand the civics that sound like a two stroke weed whacker! I want my sound to be closer to a V-8, you know aggressive and mean, not tinny like a soda can. So as far as this goes, I'm just looking to upgrade some, but still retain reliabilty cause I still have to drive this thing to work! Any suggestions on parts, alternate upgrade suggestions or websites would be much appreciated. Thanks....

Old 07-04-2005, 04:26 AM
Default RE: Looking to upgrade---HELP!!

welcome to hcf thorzine! er sry thorium. heh heh. seein how i know next to nothin about your gen civ all i can say is dont be afraid to shop around ebay, then check back here with any questions about what you find. lots of knowledgeable guys on here and plenty of write ups to search through on here. dont forget to check out the photo gallery and vote when the time comes for ride of the month. as far as power goes, boosting is always a great idea but can cost a few bucks. a cheaper option that offers a quick boost is nitrous, maybe a 50 shot for your stock motor. good luck smoking g rides homie. keep us updated with some pics on whatever you do.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:08 PM

Thanks Freaky. Do you know anyone on here who has knowlege of this motor or gen. Is this motor even worth putting a turbo on or should I look at the 2.0? I'd rather not change motors. Also what do you suggest as far as stablilization goes, ie. sway bars, etc. Thanks!

Old 07-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Welcome! There are a few seventh geners out there that i'm sure will be swing through shortly to toss some pointers your way. Good luck!!

Old 07-05-2005, 08:42 PM
HCF Member

yeah i have a 2001 Civic Ex. if u lookin for a deep exhaust, i have to greddy evo 2 and an AEM v2. evo 2 has a nice deep sound to it. Peace out homes

Old 07-05-2005, 09:11 PM

welcome!...i have to say....its not the smartest thing getting a turbo on a 1.7. i have a 2003 honda civic EX with a V-tech. i was once looking into it but i founf out that it would to much on the engine because its not that big. now im not saying you cant get one because it would work and be fast just dont be suprized if your engine blows in a year.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

as long as you do it right, a turbo kit will be fine. but as soon as you push it too hard, youre gonna toast your motor.

Old 07-06-2005, 12:31 AM

mmmmm toast...

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 07-06-2005, 06:23 AM

About the turbo.....right now its last on my list, behind intake/exhaust, rims/tires, speakers. But it is still an option. Like I said though, I don't plan on doing a lot of hard driving or racing. Just like to have it under the hood for those random occasions. I would most likely have it professionally installed and kept to 6psi. I'm not looking to blow the motor, just want a little boost. So that said, is it possible to do it, without blowing the motor. As far as I know 6psi isn't that much. Also, what about stabilization? When should I start thinking about sway bars, etc?