New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New Civic...couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Default New Civic...couple questions

Hey all,
I have a few questions I am sure you can answer for me. I just bought a 05 Civic LX Special Edition as a 3rd car. It was between this and the cobalt SS, and I just could not bring myself to buy an American car. I really got it because I wanted a commuter car with good gas mileage that was kinda fun to drive, and had potential. I want to add some stuff to it to make it more fun to drive....however I am weighing the warrantee vs. the fun factor. Does anyone have any suggestions of things they have done that have not affected the warrantee. I know that all the body stuff should be ok, but I was thinking exhaust, intake, chips, any of these items that are either hideable, or not canceling the warrantee. Also I would like to do some suspension work....probably a coilover as that is what I have had on my other cars, but don't know who to use. I have used KW always in the past. I have no experience with Japanese cars but have alot with German cars. I know on my Audi's and VW's I have been able to hide chips from the dealers and have not had problems with intake and exhause. I have heard different stories about the hondas though.

Any advice would be great. I know it is alot of questions.

Also any recommendations on good websites for parts new and used besides ebay?

Thanks
Kevin

Old 07-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: New Civic...couple questions

Well, let me welcome you to the forum! I dont know anything about abiding by warrantys, as my car didnt come with one. I can tell you the best place to start, and thats Intake, Header, and Exhaust. But, as i said, i have no idea what does and doesnt void a warranty, but i'm sure someone around here will have a few ideas for ya.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

its not supposed to affect the warranty on anything unrelated. if you put on an intake, then your radiator goes out, you could probably get them to pay for it. but if you put on a CAI, then drive through a puddle and hydrolock your motor, they wont pay for a damn thing. but they will try to find any way out of it that they can. stay away from chips as long as youve got a warranty youre worried about.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:19 PM

i believe that any thing thta is professionally installed, exhaust, suspension etc.. is still covered, i would check with the dealer to be sure.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:36 AM

You suggest I just call them up and be like.... hey what can I do to modify my car without killing the warrantee?

Old 07-06-2005, 10:39 AM

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to HCF. [sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 07-06-2005, 04:49 PM

as far as the warranty goes honda told me if u modify anything and it is not done or made by honda it voids the warranty i got well let me rephrase that i had my car under warranty when i bought it it had after market brakes and they took the car and put back on the honda brakes and rotors so don't go to extreme when it comes to modding

Old 07-07-2005, 10:42 AM

Hey Everybody,

New to the Forum and new Civic owner for just 7 days now. Salth-- I think you and I are in the same boat here. I also got the '05 LX Special Edition. I went Civic for reliability, gas and potential improvements as well. The dealer gave me the extended 6 year / 100,000 mile warranty for $1000 off (basically 1/2 price), but thinking about it later, I think maybe I should cancel the extended warranty if changes I make are going to void it anyway.

The first things I'm looking at are a Cold Air Intake and Exhaust.

Being new to the Civic (and on that note, new to modifications as well), I'd love suggestions from those with experience too. Brands, how to maximize the performance / price, nice vs. rice, and that kind of thing.

Thanks, I have been enjoying the forum so far.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Welcome packers! The search button is your friend, use that and you will find endless amounts of topics on whats nice and whats rice, first upgades, and things of that nature. As well as product specific and manufacturer threads. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with

Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: javierdagreat

as far as the warranty goes honda told me if u modify anything and it is not done or made by honda it voids the warranty i got well let me rephrase that i had my car under warranty when i bought it it had after market brakes and they took the car and put back on the honda brakes and rotors so don't go to extreme when it comes to modding
Now, is that to say, "honda parts OR dealer installed", or is that "honda parts AND dealer installed"? Could I buy my own parts and have the dealer install them? Could I buy honda parts and install them myself? Or is it strictly honda all the way?