New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New Member...D16y8 rebuild

Old 07-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Default New Member...D16y8 rebuild

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum, and thought i'd say hello.
Plenty of automotive background.

Going to be a long post...sorry.....

I'm on my fourth civic, and am planning on keeping it for good. That being said, i'm going to be needing to do an engine rebuild soon. Currently 254k. It's been a while since I've been into the Honda scene, so I have a couple questions for starters.....

2000 Civic EX sedan
Engine rebuild will be "stock", with the potential for a turbo kit down the line, and IS a daily driver. I know people boost stock d16y8's, and they supposedly hold up BUT.....

1. As far as short block engine components for D16y8, any weak points if I were to run 6-8lbs of boost later on? Pistons, rods, etc, an issue at this point? (i'll address upper end components later)

2. Suggestions for companies that make good "full" rebuild kits? If pistons, rods, etc, are a weak point.....companies that will offer these parts in the rebuild kit? (If i'm rebuilding it anyway, might as well make it stout in case I turbo it later.)

3. Any websites/companies that you all use that have a good array of QUALITY parts?

Thanks!
-Ben

Old 07-03-2017, 04:55 PM

How do you know you need a rebuild? Just basing it off the mileage or have you completed compression/leak down tests?

Please tell me it is a 5 speed, It's a 5 speed right? If not, I wouldn't bother boosting on the stock auto trans. That would be your weak point in terms of holding the power and tuning abilities.

1. PSI is irrelevant. 6 psi through a drinking straw is ALOT different than 6 psi from a large turbo. I wouldn't suggest going over 250whp on the stock D series bottom end.

2. Why not buy a remanufactured block? Otherwise, Majestic Honda might be able to provide those parts to you.

3. See #2 if you want OEM parts. Otherwise, do your research on turbo parts and buy quality parts.

How much power do you want and how much are you willing to spend?

Old 07-03-2017, 05:59 PM

I've done compression & leak down tests on it a couple years ago. Plus it has developed a small rod knock, burns oil noticeably at high rpm, etc...

Fair question, but i'm sure of it. I won't be doing so until I have to, or have another vehicle to hold me over during the job, which will likely be sooner than later. Just planning ahead.

Of course, it is a 5 speed.

Replies:

1. Understood. I'm assuming that people would assume it be a small, quick spooling turbo.....not some useless oversized one. I have no intention of going over 200whp. My real question here is "what can the d16y8 handle REALISTICALLY & RELIABLY? Keeping in mind it will be a DD. I've built plenty of motors, but never built one of these.

2. I have considered a remanufactured block, or even a used (but warrantied) motor. It's a question of getting the most bang for the buck.
Hence the question on suppliers. It's been some time (almost 20yrs) since I've looked at any import tuning companies, so i'm just curious if something new to me is out there?

3. Understood and agreed. THIS is part of my research. ^

I appreciate the detailed response. I'm still digging......like I said, just planning ahead so I can do it right the first time.

My overall goal is to get a little more power out of it, and still keep it a reliable daily driver. 180-200whp is plenty for my goal....i'm not shooting for fast. I don't like new cars, and would rather make this the way I want it.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:50 PM

Honestly, with the right tuning and a healthy stock motor, 180-200whp is realistic. Not much new that I can think of. I've been out of the Honda stuff for a bit now, but still in the "turbo world".

Seems like you're smart enough to stay from eBay and chinachargers. Well, Intercooler piping and the intercooler can be eBay and you should be fine for the most part. Anything name brand that you may remember from the past should be just fine. Garrett, tial, greddy etc.

Honda-tech.com is a much larger Honda resource. Unfortunately, this site has been pretty dead recently. Just trying to help, not pushing you away from here

Old 07-05-2017, 01:04 PM

cvcrcr99
Thanks for the reply. Sounds good. That's what I've been hearing, but I always like to double/triple check my sources.