New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

NEWBIE IN DISTRESS...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Default NEWBIE IN DISTRESS...

Hi all... Just joined today, my name's John.

I bought my 99 civ in january. To start off, I really barely know anything about cars, so any help is good help.

First of all, I don't even know what kind of civic I have so a little help on that one please. (it's 4 cylinder, 4-door, front disc brakes, rear drum... what other info is relevant to know the exact model?)

Next, my ignition distributor crapped out, It wouldn't start. (that's what my dad told me, he's the mechanic, not me, and I don't know which exact forum category to post this, so someone please let me know or if you could, answer here please.) We replaced the casing, coil, module, spark plugs, spark plug cables... It's the first time I replaced the plugs since I bought it. I think it broke from me riding through a few large puddles of water and it crapped the electronics, not sure, but it starts fine now. My problem is...

When I start the car the revs are at about 1500; is that good?

After the car warms up and lets say i'm at a red light waiting, the revs go down to almost 500 or even 300-200; I doubt that's good. WHAT SHOULD I DO???
It feels like it's almost about to turn off but it doesn't, what could be wrong?

Old 10-16-2006, 10:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: NEWBIE IN DISTRESS...

Have you looked into replacing the distributor? It could have been damaged form water. But before you do so, take off the cap, and clean the area really good. That will probably do the trick. Also, get your father to help you Seafoam the living crap out of your car. Click Here for instructions on Seafoaming. Its simple and nothing your old man cant tackle with you.

Now. If you have manual windows and electronic locks, you have a VP model. It stands for value package. Its basically between a DX and LX. Its either green or silver with unpainted side skirts, unpainted handles (the 00 civic VP is the exact same car but it had the door handles painted) and unpainted mirrors.

You have the D16Y7 motor. It is non vtec. It is basically the mule of the Honda motors... no frills. I used to have the sam car. Click my camera icon to see it.

Here are the specs:

Hp: 106 Crank
Bore: 2.953
Size: 1590

The motor can be found in all 1996-2000 DX,VP,LX cars. The 99-00 Civics only differ from visual changes. They stay the same mechanically. You have a 6th generation car.

I hope that helps!

Btw, welcome!!!!

Old 10-17-2006, 11:54 AM

THANKS REMMY!

Yup, manual windows and elec locks. I guess that makes it a VP. Cool, I know what car I have.. .haha.
We already changed the parts inside of the distributor, the coil and module... my dad tested them and they were both fried.

I've got another couple of questions.

I want to tint the windows. Will the rear defrost cause it to peel off the back window?

And I want to put an autostart on the car... do autostarts have any negative impact on the car or does it only help?

Old 10-17-2006, 12:04 PM
HCF Member

Tinted windows shouldnt peel if professionally done. I use the defrost on my car all the time and its not peeling.

Since you have a VP I assume its an automatic transmission. A remote start is fine and has no negative effects on the car. If you have a manual I wouldnt get a remote start. You have to do a few things to get it done and can be dangerous.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:40 PM
HCF Member

I have a manual and remote start, and if you get it proffessionaly done, they will make it sso it wont start without the handbrake on, and they always tell you to leave it on neutral. But since you have automatic no worries, just walking into a nice warm car.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:45 PM

Sounds to me like you ended up with a bad module. Sometimes the modules you buy aftermarket are chaper, but are set to different specs. the only way to ensure it is set the same is to go factory on that. It'll run you close to 200, but its worth it. I was experiencing a similar problem on my 93 civic dx, and bought the cheaper module at an autozone, and found out the hard way it isn't the same. If you can live with it almost stalling, You can get by on that one for a while, but like previously stated, make sure the cap is clean and dry. You should also look and see if there is a seal between the cap and the distributor housing. there should be a o-ring type seal there. good luck.