New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Newbie seeking tech assistance

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Default Newbie seeking tech assistance

I joined the forum to get help with my fiance's civic. She has a 2003 Honda Civic EX automatic with a 1.7L vtec. The vehicle currently has 176k, she like most girls is not easy with her car and doesnt bring it to the shop until something breaks or an CEL comes on. So anyways, here is the problem.

Originally, it was showing a P1259 for Vtec system malfunction. I tried replacing the mesh screen filter and gasket on the solenoid because a friend of mine who is a honda buff said that those screens will clog up. After a while the P1259 code finally disappeared from the stored codes but the engine performance did not seam to get any better. My current codes and problems are now multiple missfire codes and cylinder 2, 3, 4 missfires. The car will shake and stutter at low RPM's around 1000-2000 and will also have a rattle sound which I believe sounds like valve rattle from bad timing. The engine also has multiple oil leaks, though the oil level is closely watched. Her coolant will get low after about 1-2months of driving.

I am assuming it has a bad head gasket, but there are no extrenal coolant leaks and I do not see excessive white smoke in the exhaust. Also, the plugs do not appear as though they are stained with coolant.

My ultimate question to you Honda guys is,
1 - is a 03 civic ex worth a motor swap?
2 - how involved is the swap?

Any information anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated ! If you could email me at dhm0303@hotmail.com I would appreciate it because I can check my phone a lot easier than check the website.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:08 PM

Have you or anyone else done a tune-up on this vehicle... if so did they adjust any valves... and if they did ask them why?.. Honda valves do not need adjustment unless they are rattling loud... normal honda motor valves rattle... its just the rollers tapping the cam and arms tapping valves.. a little rattle is normal... but when they become loud and highly noticable, do they then need adjustment... where are the oil leaks? head or block?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:16 PM

As far as motor swaps.. You have a Honda!!! any Honda motor is better than the D17a2 and D17a1. K20's are high output motors and alot can be modified on them but cost alot of money and labor to be installed, I'm talking between 4-7 thousand dollars.. My future swap for my EM2 is an earlier Dseries motor.. I'm eliminating the obd2 and going to obd1... D16a2.. and thats an 700 to 1000$ swap... I hate Immobilizers...

Old 07-11-2011, 05:25 PM
July 2010 ROTM

regarding your 2 questions... AFAIK, swapping that chassis isnt like swapping an ef/eg/ek. surely its been done, but not by illiterate nomads in horse skin tents like the other chassis have. google is your friend, search swaps related to the car and lurk some forums. lurking is quite informative.