New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

oil on spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Default oil on spark plug

i got oil on my spark plugs and the car smokes alot how do u fix that

Old 11-12-2006, 09:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: oil on spark plug

piston rings

Old 11-12-2006, 11:58 PM
HCF Member

+1 /\

That fixed me right up when I had the problem a few years ago.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:57 AM

well this happen to me in my 88 hb and it was the spark plug tube seeals u might want to try that its realy cheap to do

Old 11-13-2006, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

Run a compression test and a leakdown. I believe your piston rings are going out. Check your oil constantly before the work is done because your car is eating it up big time.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

how much oil do you burn in say 100 miles?

Old 02-22-2007, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

did you have trouble starting the car after the fix, I am having trouble, my tube seals went out and now am having trouble starting it because it fouls my plugs almost immediately. Can anybody give me any ideas

Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 PM
HCF Member

Well, tube seals will only get oil on the top of the spark plug, where the spark plug wire goes on it. If you are haveing that problem, would should replace the wires also because the oil will damage them and cause them to come apart. If you are fouling out the plugs with oil on the part that fires, you problable have bad rings or bad valve guide seals. Usually it is valve guide seals because oil leaks right in on the top of the comubstion chamber where your plug is. Piston rings would have to be really bad to allow that much oil past them to foul your plugs. Another problem may be your head gasket.

Did you change your plugs after your repair? What exactly did you fix, the tube seals? Oil contaminated plugs and wires from the outside will not usually cause them not to spark. If you are not able to start at all, check to see if your are getting spark by taking out the plug, attach it to the plug wire, rest the plug on a good ground, try and start the motor and watch for spark. Or if you have a spark tester that would be better. Just make sure you have a old or new plug in the head otherwise you will have some noise.

Compression and leak down test are usually the best to in these situations because that will tell you if your rings, valves or valve guides or even head gasket are bad.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-23-2007, 06:06 AM
HCF Member

I changed out the spark plugs too but not the wires, I think what happened is there was oil on the top of the plugs because the tube seals were bad I could see that when I changed them, and I tried to get out most of the oil before removing the plugs but when I removed it there was oil that drained down into where the plugs go. How hard is it to change piston rings, Do I just need to pull the head and pull out the pistons and replace that ring or do I need special gauges and stuff to do that. I have a new head gasket already but haven't put it on yet, I guess I will do that also. Your input is greatly appreciated. Oh by the way the car starts but sounds like it is having a difficult time running and runs just barely, and when I push the gas it makes really no effect and will not rev up. Any ideas on that? Thanks again

Old 02-27-2007, 07:51 PM
HCF Member

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. To change the rings you should take the head off. It is easier that way because you are gooing to probably need to use a piston ring compressor to put the pistons in. As far as gauges go, Depending on how many miles the car has you might want to measure the taper in the cylinder bores. And you need a taper measuring tool for that, it will have a dial indicator type of gauge on it. You probably also want to remove any ridge that might be at the top of the block with a rig reamer. But then again if you do not have that many miles on the car it may not be that important. Also, you may want to replace the Rod bearings while you have them off since you have to take the oil pan off and remove the rod caps to take the piston out.

As far as the car not running that great, you may have fouled out the plugs pretty good whan all that oil went into your cylinders when you pulled out the old plugs. Did it just start doing that? Otherwise you may have a different problem. What year is th ecar? Is there a check engine light on?
[align=left] [/align]