New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Towing light trailers with the Civic!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Default Towing light trailers with the Civic!

Hi Folks,

Just a note to introduce myself and let you know what I "think" I'm considering. I'm not new to Honda. I've got a 2001 Odyssey and a 2004 S2000. The main reason I bought the minivan was to haul my hobby stuff around. I'm into RC helicopters. Anyway, as much as I really like the Odyssey, the recent increases in the price of fuel has prompted me to consider something more economical. I've driven a number of Civic's, loaner cars from the dealer when I had the van and S2000 in for maintenance, and I do like the car. Besides, the only time I really use the space that the Odyssey offers is when I'm heading off to the flying field which, overall, is probably about 20% of my total driving time in the van. I was thinking that a light utility trailer would work well, something with a maximum weight of 1000 lbs or so. I've seen Goldwing motorcycles pull close to that without any issues so I don't see the Civic having a lot of problems with it. I was just wondering if anyone out there had pulled anything of a similar weight and how the car handled it? BTW, I did do a search before posting this. Most of what I found related to putting the Civic on the trailer and I found a couple of posts that talked about pulling a small U-Haul trailer with the car!! I think that might be a bit much. Also, I found some suggestions toward the CRV as an alternative. That would probably work but at this time I'm not that interested in an SUV style vehicle. Besides, I'm not sure I like the upcoming redesign of the CRV. I'll have to wait and see about that!

Anyway, any info or experiences on the topic you care to share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time & Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:52 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Towing light trailers with the Civic!

hey man that is cool I am into rc trucks I have a 3.3 revo love it and all. but welcome to the forum make yourself at home here.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:28 PM
HCF Member

Well civics as you know dont have too much torque, so you might have to rev a little higher than normal to get moving.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:42 PM

WELCOME!