New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

vtec vs vvti

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:09 AM
Default vtec vs vvti

I was talking to my dad and he is a teacher at the NCO academy for kirtland AFB, and he was saying that some of his students were saying that vvti (toyota) is better than vtec, that vvti is kicking in through the whole rpm band were as vtec doesnt kick in until a certain rpm. Is it honestly better? facts and opinions are appreciated. by the way, sorry i posted in the wrong spot, thought i was in general talk. my bad

Old 05-23-2006, 03:26 AM
Default RE: vtec vs vvti

I dont really know much about vvti, but I know that Vtec is nice... Yeah it kicks in 4k or 5k I dont know exactly because my car does not have an RPM guage yet but once it kicks in it feels like the stock engine has turned off and some kinda performance engine is taking over and it also sounds lot meaner...

Old 05-23-2006, 06:57 AM

I love how the VTEC responds after 5000rpm's...it feels like the engine is just about to go berzerk on ya...my car is a SOHC and you may not feel it that much but on a DOHC such as a Civic Si or in an Integra it sounds awesome, specially if you have headers and CAI...

Forgot to say, my sister has a car with vvti, it is responsive starting at 3,000rpm's, not through the entire rpm band...the VTEC sounds meaner and deeper and definitely more responsive at higher rpm's...
My $.02

Old 05-23-2006, 08:48 AM
HCF Member

vvti only adjusts the timing. its like the "I" in the new I-VTEC. real VTEC controls overlap, timing, lift and duration. if they think its really better, then ask why the 1zzfe in the toyotas is a 1.8L DOHC making 130hp, and the d16y8 is a 1.6L SOHC making 127hp. and the y8 has the weaker version of Vtec. now if you compare VVTLi to the sohc vtec system, I would take the VVTLi any day, but even the VVTLi pales in comparison to the DOHC Vtec system. thats why dohc vtec hondas respond to mods so much better than the VVTLI 2zz-fe, even though the original power output is really similar.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:02 AM

you alll have good points, but if you look at the last year of the celica and the new corrolla S the 1.8 DOHC vvti is a 180 hp engine, but the carolla is just ugly as hell.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

but that is about the same as a gsr motor, and cant even touch the output of a type r motor. they are all 1.8L, and a j-spec gsr motor is rated at 178hp, the 2zz-ge in the toyotas is rated at 178, and the type r motor is rated at 195. and the 180 hp 2zz-ge doesnt have VVT-i, it has a totally different system, VVTL-i, which controls lift as well as timing, but still doesnt offer as much control as full-on Vtec, or better yet, I-Vtec.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:13 PM

You dumb *****. VVT-i ("i" for intelligent, something the "conventional" VTEC engines lack) is probably the best technology around (next to dual VVT-I). It doesn't JUST adjust the timing, but it's tuned for every meter of every journey on the road. Toyota's system is merely identical to that of Porche's and BMW's VANOS technology.

It's like having an onboard technician ALWAYS tuning the engine for optimum efficiency. The 1zzfe is an AMAZING motor, hence why it is one of Toyota's FLAGSHIP motors. BTW, the 1zzfe produces 145hp at the crank, and a NON-VVT-i 1zzfe makes about 120.. so as you can see VVT-i is a mere 20-25hp gain throughout the ENTIRE powerband.

It also senses not only engine speeds and throttle position, but acceleration, whether you're going uphill, downhill, and all sorts of road conditions so you're ALWAYS getting the most out of the engine. Did I mention how responsive it is? It also saves mad petrol costs.

Why do you think Lotus Engineering is currently borrowing the 1zzfe in their Lotus Elise, as well as the 2zzge?

VVT-i doesn't kick in; it's builds up from low RPM. The torque curve is PERFECT due to the VVT-i. The engine is also ridiculously light. It gets 35mpg as well.

While you guys are hitting VTEC in your Civics, I'll always be "in" my VVT-i powerband and still get better gas mileage.

Sick of the ignorance of VVT-i technology.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:22 PM
HCF Member

This thread is nearly 4 months old, and nobody cares.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:57 PM

Your car is a year old, and still no one cares about it. BTW, my ex girlfriend drives your same exact car-- and it's slow.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:54 PM

why are you here? its like beating a dead horse, vvti is toyota this is hondacivicforum, no one gives a ****

Quick Reply: vtec vs vvti