New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

vtec vs vvti

Old 09-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Default RE: vtec vs vvti

Uhm, I love Hondas. I love Civics, just not your gen and the motor that "propels" it, if you can even describe it that way.

What I don't like is people who compare VTEC to VVT-i and know nothing about it. It's more than variable valve timing.. VVT has been around since what? The 1960's?

1zzfe is not my favorite motor by all means. In fact, it's being replaced by a motor with more HP, with dual VVT-i. I don't care if you care about Toyota or Lexus, because if you don't, then I can only imagine what anyone would know about VVT-i technology!!

My reason for being here is for reasons like this:

and the 180 hp 2zz-ge doesnt have VVT-i, it has a totally different system, VVTL-i

Oh really? I guess when Toyota said the 2zzge had VVTL-i COMBINED with VVT-i, they were lying.

Forgot to say, my sister has a car with vvti, it is responsive starting at 3,000rpm's, not through the entire rpm band...

Does she? Her VVT-i must be malfunctioning, because it's responsive from the moment you touch the gas, every gear, every engine speed, every hill, everywhere. It's responsive from idle, to redline.

Go drive a Lexus with VVT-i, and you'll see what I mean.

Go drive a Porche or a Bimmer with VANOS.

There's a lot more people who tune cars then those who tune their VTAKS!

They live to drive cars with brains, with efficiency, that's lightweight, and saves gas even if you rev it's brains out.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:24 AM
HCF Member

i hate my car, which is why i'm selling it for an ek hatch as soon as it gets out of the body shop next week... if you read stuff you would know i'm looking for a new car.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:33 AM

It's a "conventional" motor as far as I'm concerned.

Unless someone wants to enlighten me on the d17?

But I'd rather discuss this issue of VTEC "verses" VVT-i..

All I say is that some of those Toyota motors are just really INTELLIGENT, unlike a lot of the conventional VTEC motors.

I think the "i" actually intended to poke fun at VTEC, which is why Honda patented i-VTEC.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:48 AM
HCF Member

most people hate on the d17. there is very little aftermarket support, it doesn't swap around with other d-series engines. the only swaps you can do on the em2 are the k swaps and they are $10k expensive... i don't like it. i don't know anything about vvt-i and i honestly don't give a damn about it, but that's just me being honest. i don't like my car, i want an eg coupe.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:51 AM

I dunno, you were the one who said I was spreading "ignorance", yet now you say you know but a damn thing about vvti?

I think that's ignorance, but that's me, and I could be wrong.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:10 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: VVTIFTW

Just stop -- You look like a ******. Get your permit or something.

Your car suits you well, for it also looks gay. You could've at least gotten a different color than red, mang.

Go race your D17A1 117hp POS, and stop wasting money on it. I bet everyone around you laughs behind your back, or to your face.

Oh yeah, go spread rice.
.....? i'm the ignorant one?

Old 09-21-2006, 02:49 AM
HCF Member

I think most of us know about the toyota engine, but we prefer the better reliability of the honda motors. Yes the toyota has better torque curve, but we really dont care too much about how much power you can "feel" we care about the quarter mile times and the aftermarket support. (or we all would have just bought a new camaro or something).
But hey thanks for letting us know of toyotas achievement, but i would rather stick with honda and their vtec system.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:06 AM
HCF Member

This thread is ridiculous, sacicons has given you a full and frank explanation of both systems which clearly underlines vtec i-vtec superiority and yet you continue to argue even though your argument is inherintly weak as you are bashing one of hondas weakest motors and comparing 15-18 year old honda vtec technolgy to modern day toyota engines.
I see you are most keen to point out that lotus use your engine in their elise....well so what? I have seen k20a powered elises walk all over the newest toyota powered elises. There really is no comparrison, look at the stats.
Oh and if you want to see what a honda civic engine does in a lightweight rear wheel drive track car then look no further than the Ariel Atom. Top 5 fastest cars in the world round a track and its right there.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:45 AM

let me ask if you are so smart, how is vtec a dumb system? or is it dumb because toyota didn't think of it first?

Old 09-21-2006, 07:13 AM

how do things like this stay open?

this forum allows blatant flaming?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vtec vs vvti