New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

vtec vs vvti

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 06:03 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: vtec vs vvti

VVT-i is throuhg out the whole RPM range i really works when u are pushing the engine. if you get on the gas from a stand still it is already working. it also changes with the throttle position.
V-tec on the other hand kicks in at a high rpm range unless you have a V-tec controler and i-vtec i am not sure but i am almost sure that it works the same way or similarly to the VVT-i

Old 09-20-2006, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: VVTIFTW

Your car is a year old, and still no one cares about it.
ummm, good one?
my ex girlfriend drives your same exact car
I know she does, ive been in the back seat...

Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 PM
HCF Member

You dumb *****. VVT-i ("i" for intelligent, something the "conventional" VTEC engines lack) is probably the best technology around (next to dual VVT-I). It doesn't JUST adjust the timing, but it's tuned for every meter of every journey on the road. Toyota's system is merely identical to that of Porche's and BMW's VANOS technology.

It's like having an onboard technician ALWAYS tuning the engine for optimum efficiency. The 1zzfe is an AMAZING motor, hence why it is one of Toyota's FLAGSHIP motors. BTW, the 1zzfe produces 145hp at the crank, and a NON-VVT-i 1zzfe makes about 120.. so as you can see VVT-i is a mere 20-25hp gain throughout the ENTIRE powerband.

It also senses not only engine speeds and throttle position, but acceleration, whether you're going uphill, downhill, and all sorts of road conditions so you're ALWAYS getting the most out of the engine. Did I mention how responsive it is? It also saves mad petrol costs.

Why do you think Lotus Engineering is currently borrowing the 1zzfe in their Lotus Elise, as well as the 2zzge?

VVT-i doesn't kick in; it's builds up from low RPM. The torque curve is PERFECT due to the VVT-i. The engine is also ridiculously light. It gets 35mpg as well.

While you guys are hitting VTEC in your Civics, I'll always be "in" my VVT-i powerband and still get better gas mileage.

Sick of the ignorance of VVT-i technology.
What the?? does this guy work for toyota or what

Old 09-20-2006, 10:53 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 05 civic

ummm, good one?
PWNEDFTW!!!

Old 09-20-2006, 10:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 05 civic

ummm, good one?

Lolmenade!

VVTIFTW, no one was bashing it, and Sacicons is not a dumb *** ****. He gave 100% factual information was not bashing any motor.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:24 AM
HCF Member

You dumb *****. VVT-i ("i" for intelligent, something the "conventional" VTEC engines lack) is probably the best technology around (next to dual VVT-I). It doesn't JUST adjust the timing, but it's tuned for every meter of every journey on the road. Toyota's system is merely identical to that of Porche's and BMW's VANOS technology.

It's like having an onboard technician ALWAYS tuning the engine for optimum efficiency. The 1zzfe is an AMAZING motor, hence why it is one of Toyota's FLAGSHIP motors. BTW, the 1zzfe produces 145hp at the crank, and a NON-VVT-i 1zzfe makes about 120.. so as you can see VVT-i is a mere 20-25hp gain throughout the ENTIRE powerband.

It also senses not only engine speeds and throttle position, but acceleration, whether you're going uphill, downhill, and all sorts of road conditions so you're ALWAYS getting the most out of the engine. Did I mention how responsive it is? It also saves mad petrol costs.

Why do you think Lotus Engineering is currently borrowing the 1zzfe in their Lotus Elise, as well as the 2zzge?

VVT-i doesn't kick in; it's builds up from low RPM. The torque curve is PERFECT due to the VVT-i. The engine is also ridiculously light. It gets 35mpg as well.

While you guys are hitting VTEC in your Civics, I'll always be "in" my VVT-i powerband and still get better gas mileage.

Sick of the ignorance of VVT-i technology.
they are different systems doing different operations for somewhat similar reasons. VVT-i controls valve timing, vtec cntrols duration and lift. there really isnt a comparison, but if you want to get into it, then why dont you compare your 145hp in a DOHC 1.8l to the 127hp in a SOHC VTEC 1.6l? thats pretty good for a smaller motor thats short one cam. or put a non-vtec b18a 1.8l up against your fantastic 1zz. with NO variable anything, it makes 142, with lower compression than the 1zz.

Dont think im ignorant of other cars just because im on a civic forum, Ill have you know I drive a 1zz every freaking day. and its not impressive. if it gets over 90 degrees out, the things a dog, and it gets about 25-28 mpg the way I drive, and its still a 17 second car if im lucky. now compare that to my 1.8l honda Vtec motor, it gets about the same 25mpg, yet on a 105 degree day, it will still run a 14 second 1/4 mile. on a cool night, it will dip into the low 14s, maybe even 13s if traction is good. and is very driveable. your flat torque curve sells cars to old ladies. I would much rather have a steep torque curve with more torque and a higher redline anyday.

and geez, coming in calling names is a great way to get people to listen to you and respect what you are saying. I swear, its people like you who are ruining this country. if you have a valid point, make it by pointing out evidence, as you tried to do, though you seem to be way more ignorant of Vtec than I am of VVT-I and VVTL-I.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:45 AM

Uhm, no.

You're the one comparing apples and oranges, and I was here to correct you, and now once again, you're comparing apples and oranges.

I never came here to compare VVT-i to VTEC, but merely give my opinion.

BTW, you said that SOHC VTEC was better than VVT-i.. but oh wait, they're two different systems performing two different operations? Oh well, VVT-i > VTEC anyway. Hence my name, HA- DUR! My $.02

Drive a Lotus Elise or an MR2 Spyder with a 1zzfe.

Well over 35mpg (32mpg when beat on, ALL THE TIME)

The 1zzfe is also probably sufficiently lighter than any of the Honda engines you have described

I didnt come here wanting you to listen to me, I came here to flame you for being retarded. Ask any performance buff; flat torque curve is kickass.

PS.. I've driven more cars with VTEC than you have and understand it more. i-VTEC is nice, but VTEC is a very dumb system

Old 09-21-2006, 12:47 AM
HCF Member

vvtfiwoiajdsfomglollercoasterftw

you are dumb. quit spreading ignorance and quit being annoying.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:01 AM

Just stop -- You look like a ******. Get your permit or something.

Your car suits you well, for it also looks gay. You could've at least gotten a different color than red, mang.

Go race your D17A1 117hp POS, and stop wasting money on it. I bet everyone around you laughs behind your back, or to your face.

Oh yeah, go spread rice.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:05 AM
HCF Member

did you just come in here to bash hondas?... i don't understand your reason for being here.

Quick Reply: vtec vs vvti