Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

all hell breaking loose

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 PM
HCF Member
Default all hell breaking loose

Bout a week ago I boosted hard in third gear for the first time and afterwards turbo wouldn't boost and was making a sound like curly from the three stooges was chillin in my engine bay. My turbo sucked a rock in and broke off a bunch of fins from the compressor housing. The guys who did my turbo didn't put an air filter on even when I pretended to be stupid and asked if the big whole on the turbo needed to be covered. Took the car to my reliable mechanic who is gonna hook me up with a smaller turbo for more low end, remove my ac assembly, spin the turbo 180 degrees, vent the wastegate so exhaust isn't spewinginside my engine bay, put on an AIR FILTER, and redo the crappy oil lines. Thankfully my turbo is gonna be redone the right way by my mechanic, compliments of the shop who screwed it up in the first place. At the same time i was having them do the head gasket, arps, and eagles/vitaras. I talked to my mechanic today and he gave me results of inspection of my head and block. Head has couple bad intake and exhaust valves, and the valve seals are leaking in one cylinder. Block has what he referred to as glazing on one of the cylinders. Basically told me I need a valve job and that my block would probably go in 3-6 months. Gonna check it out tomorrow morning and possibly have them rebuild my whole engine while its taken apart. Also found metal shavings in either the head or block, i'll see tomorrow. Hope to find a turbine blade somewhere in the mix so I can get my engine rebuilt for free.
________
AROMED 4

Last edited by arust45; 09-10-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: all hell breaking loose

You are going to waste thousands of dollars on your car if you don't learn how to do some work yourself.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

Oh I do work on my car as often as I can. I'd much rather have those learning experiences under my belt, but Don't really have to luxury of doing anything that takes more than a few hours or requires machining with two jobs and no reliable alternative form of transportation.
________
LovelyChloe

Last edited by arust45; 09-10-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:51 PM
HCF Member

Could have just got a replacement turbo on the same exact type/size and bolted on and off and called it a day no? W hat turbo was it?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

Chinese, but adequate, t3/to4e .50A/R. The original installers didn't install it very well as implied by them not putting a filter of some sort over my compressor housing. My mechanic found shrapnel in the engine, probably from to fins being sucked in at peak boost in 3rd gear goin around 90 and shattering. Cast aluminum likes to shatter.
________
Marijuana seeds

Last edited by arust45; 09-10-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:16 PM

you really cant say "your block will go in XXXX amount of miles, months,days years... so on..

i personally wouldnt take my car somewhere to have it worked on.. especially if it was an aftermarket turbo setup.

when i decided to turbo my car a while ago i did tons and tons of research before i bought one part. that way i was ready when it came down to driving it and putting it together and maintaining it. but thast just my opinion

Old 03-02-2008, 06:41 PM
HCF Member

I completely agree. I researched for a year and ended up dropping the idea for several months. Saw what i thought was a good deal and jumped on it too quickly... Very uncharacteristic of me. He put a diagnosis on the engine because he saw glazing on the cylinder walls, lots of metal shavings in the vtec solenoid, among other things. Once the pistons and rods were removed it was obvious the car wouldn't last more than a month. I was just too rash and jumped on a "good deal" without thinking when I should have gotten my kit done right with the mechanic I am dealing with now. I've learned so much more than i ever learned researching turbos for more than a year. Never even considered things like the cooling system, clutch, motor mounts, and other things that could and will go wrong with a turbo motor. This costly lesson may be the best thing that ever happened to me.
________
HOW TO ROLL BLUNTS

Last edited by arust45; 09-10-2011 at 02:41 AM.