Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Extra injector?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 04:09 AM
Default Extra injector?

Got a quote from a workshop on installing turbo kit
They mention that my D17 SOHC engine need addition 2 more injector, a stronger fuel pump. Just wondering, where are they going to install the two additional 2 injector?

Felix

Old 04-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Default RE: Extra injector?

well the stronger fuel pump i could see...but if u got bigger injectors that should do the trick...never heard of adding an injector.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:58 PM

They can't just add 2 injectors......somethin wrong with that picture!
Go get it checked out at a different garage.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:35 PM
HCF Member

They do add injectors at times. They would be somewhere in the intake path(airflow). It is not as good as getting bigger injectors, but it does the trick(bandaid). However it is taking a step back(kind of like carburator) since the fuel is injected so far from the combustion chamber thus less efficient.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:38 PM

Seen an IM with spots for 8 injectors. Not 2 though, they would have te be up high near the plenum. That wouldnt make much sense

Old 04-21-2005, 11:40 PM
HCF Member

hell yeah you can just add 2 extra ones. thats a common setup with turbos. look at an FD rx-7, it has a secondary set of injectors, as do a lot of Supras. i believe they will set them up in the manifold somewhere that will disperse the fuel into the cylinders as even as possible. and with a d17, you WILL need a bigger fuel pump and definately some bigger/ or extra injectors.

Old 04-22-2005, 02:24 AM

Yes, I've seen cars with a secondary set of injectors (same number as the amount of cylinders), but never just a random number of extra injectors like 2.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:53 AM

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/produ...&vehicle=Civic

what about that one, I was thinking about getting that for my D17, along with a new fuel regulator, new fuel pump, new fuel rail

I am going to run a T3 turbo

Old 04-22-2005, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 97CivicEX

However it is taking a step back(kind of like carburator) since the fuel...
a carb isnt neccisarily a step backwards, theyre much more simple than feul injection and weigh TONS less...and its (comparitavely) easy to convert EFI to carburation (vice versa...dont try...even pros have a tough time with that one)

Old 04-22-2005, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

ORIGINAL: 97CivicEX

However it is taking a step back(kind of like carburator) since the fuel...
a carb isnt neccisarily a step backwards, theyre much more simple than feul injection and weigh TONS less...and its (comparitavely) easy to convert EFI to carburation (vice versa...dont try...even pros have a tough time with that one)
My definition of a step backward is technological not simplicity. Wouldn't you agree that an EFI is far superior to a carb. You get better fuel management/delivery, better emissions, better outright performance, easier to control and tune(if you know what you are doing). If you compare the performance of the same engine with carb vs EFI you will get more hp and better gas mileage on the EFI.

Oh and there are plenty of carb to EFI conversion kits out there, so with the right knowledge and will power you can convert back and forth with not much effort.

I would have to disagree on the weight. I live in Cali where the smog regulations are probably the most strict within the US. The emissions hardware needed on carb-ed vehicles will all add up to more than the weight of the injector system.

Quick Reply: Extra injector?