Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Default I need some help

I have a 2000 honda civic ex. I'm pretty much new to cars. I don't know a whole lot. I'm wondering what motor i can swap? Where can i get it at? What do i have to do to get it ready for boost? I'm wanting to slam a greddy bolt on in it.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Not to be a dick, but these questions have been asked a million times.

The first thing you need to figure out is how much are you willing to spend? how much power do you want?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

Agreed.
and boooo to bolt ons!
hooraaay for built up internals!
you can check out my engine build if you'd like? but yea plenty of people on here have a lot of knowledge so you're in a good place to learn some good stuff. 2nd, you can put any motor into any car... with enough cash. (i saw a 95 hatch with an corvette motor that had been converted to rwd..) i'm rebuilding a d16y8 (your car's motor) with slightly different stuff for my 2000 coupe. when i first got here i thought i would build up the motor (no turbo) and make about 250hp... wrong! and super costly! slapping on a turbo kit is more cost effiecient but these engine's have breaking points for their stock guts... around 250hp.
basicly, if you want a turbo, that's cool (and a starting point). now decide how much power you want to make and how you're going to make it.
but youre gunna need a shopping list and budget before you jump in the pool.
(keep in mind that almost every little 1.6 liter motor we build requires a tune to achive 200-250+ hp)
but good luck and i hope you find some answers with our handy little search bar, or google b16, b18, h22, g23, swaps for an ek, or turbo d16's.
peace man!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 PM
HCF Member

it all depends on the places you want to go (.no pun intended)

some people like to keep d series in their cars...but some like to have b series... others drop the extra cash for k series.. just depends on how much you want to spend..and what u want to do with it.

personally i have a stock b18 and a supercharged b18 i love the b series motors... but i started with a d series civic

and to add to it now i have a j series mdx... just depends what u want to do and how much you have to make it happen....

so ur next reply should have some better judgement of what ur going to do...drag/autox/ dd?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:33 AM
agm

take any random DOHC motor, build he bottom end, throw in some cams and strap a turbo kit onto it, fuel system, and figure out the ecu needs, and take it to a dyno and get it tuned.
for ecu you need to gain control over the timing, ignition, and fuel.

done, you pick the horsepower you want.

transaxles will start grenading if you picked too much and you have to add driveshafts and trannies to your yearly budget.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 AM
HCF Member

dont forget the standalone ems

Old 10-22-2011, 08:19 AM

How much are you looking to spend?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Super Cereal Admin

^ One post, two months ago. I don't think the OP is going to reply.

Originally Posted by agm
take any random DOHC motor, build he bottom end, throw in some cams and strap a turbo kit onto it, fuel system, and figure out the ecu needs, and take it to a dyno and get it tuned.
for ecu you need to gain control over the timing, ignition, and fuel.

done, you pick the horsepower you want.

transaxles will start grenading if you picked too much and you have to add driveshafts and trannies to your yearly budget.
What is this I don't even