Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Internal Upgrade d16z6 For 7lbs Boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Default Internal Upgrade d16z6 For 7lbs Boost

Hey all, I want to run 7lbs of boost via turbo charger...

I've heard that all i need internaly is a rod upgrade...? <True?

Also, I have a stage one cam, adjustable fuel pressure reg and im wondering if i should advance or retard the timing of the cam and what fuel pressure i should run for optimal performance...

Thanks for the help

Old 03-09-2008, 07:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Internal Upgrade d16z6 For 7lbs Boost

Eagle Rods, Vitara pistons, ARP headstuds, OEM or Cometic Headgasket, sleeves aren't totally necesarry unless you're doing a pretty intense build. On 7 psi on a smaller turbo, a stock d16z6 has been known to hold up find for a while if properly tuned and the whole process was done right the first time (quality parts, knowledge, nice dyno tune, etc.). I think you can retard timing when tuning your car, which is necesarry when you're turbocharged.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:10 PM

ALLthose mods are absolutely needed?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

naw dude like i said a stock d16z6 can make it if you keep HP levels low and have a super good OBD1 chip/tune, but the lower compression pistons, stronger rods, nice headgasket, and some good strong headstuds you're engine is much more reliable and also more prepared for alot higher boost numbers. What turbo are you running? That matters more than PSI actaully, because 7 lbs of boost is a completely different think from a small t25 then on a huge Garrett diesel turbo or something. Leaving a t25 internally gated will give you pretty okay numbers on a DD and it's internally gated at a low PSI already.

EDIT: and getting a compression test on your engine lets you know what kinda shape it's in and if can handle boost in the first place.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 PM
HCF Member

Its a gamble. I suggest, at the minimum, new headgasket and arp headstuds. If you are putting enough power to throw a rod, you'll need stronger pistons as well. Many people swear that the rods will go first, but i've also talked to many people who have had turboed civics where the pistons went first. When I turboed my d16y8 (with 115k miles)witha t3/t4 on 7lbs all hell broke loose. First I stripped my clutch and blew my headgasket due to headlift because I was using stock headstuds. Blown headgasket->Overheating->hole in radiator->glazing on cylinder walls->metal shavings in my vtec solenoid from my rods androd bearings. IMO all you absolutely need is a clutch that can handle the new power you'll be making, but if you want your engine to be reliable follow flip's advice. Also, do you mean retard the ignition timing?
________
LadieLane cam

Last edited by arust45; 09-10-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 PM
HCF Member

Pistons go first due to lack of good tuning methods (i.e. fmu, piggyback) oreven just a badtuner himself on a good management system. Clutch is going to go out no matter what, they just were not ment to handle the torque of a turbocharged engine.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

True, true. I have a good street tune and when the car got taken apart my pistons were fine (little detonation visible), it was my rods that were on the verge of going. I'll try to get some pictures up in a couple of days. Not sure if its against the rules to endorse people on here, but I met the guy who has the cheapest price for vitara/eagle setup on ebay, because I wanted to swap out my std pistons for .020 over and he happens to live an hour away from me. He offers an insane deal, told me he sells them for about 15 dollars more than he pays because he has competition from some guy based out of puerto rico who i found out hangs around turbod16. Anyways, when i picked up my pistons he said he provides lifetime waranty, which was not stated on the ebay page. My tuner told me to crank my sh*t up when he heard . Regardless of whether he will actually replace them when the time comes, its a hell of a deal for quality parts.
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA SEEDS

Last edited by arust45; 09-10-2011 at 02:44 AM.