Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

My First Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 AM
Default My First Build

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the site and just thought I might try and glean a bit of wisdom from those on here who have plenty of experience under their belt.

My wife ran my 96 Civic Ex Coupe out of oil early last year (2011). It still runs good with nearly 170xxx miles on it and the compression in all cylinders is great for the mileage and fact that it saw a couple weeks of poor/no lubrication.

In any case, I had originally planned to build the car when I purchased it. The date for swapping was further out in the future until the oil incident (she checks it every fill up now), but has now been put on the high priority list. I will be swapping in a B18 GSR engine in place of the Stock D16 this coming Spring.

I have researched the swap and found my abilities to be adequate. I have done all mechanical work on my Civic the past couple years I have owned it and recently rebuilt a '91 Hatch my youngest brother bought for a few hundred bucks. The '91 is running great compression on all four cylinders (only two fired when he bought it) and I was able to learn a lot and teach him a few things in the process of rebuilding it.

My questions stem from what to do when I initially swap in the GSR. I will be fitting it with a turbo once cash flow is adequate enough (could be awhile). I am aiming for quite unique setup with this build. I would like to attempt three separate settings.

1) A low boost tune that achieves the greatest fuel economy possible. I have read several articles in which a tuner achieved 40+ mpg. I would love to be able to have a low-boost setting that consumed less fuel and still provided power near stock levels. This particular setup would be run on trips to the city and back (80 miles round trip) or longer.

2) A tune that achieves 350-400whp. This would be my 'fun' tune and would be used very sparingly. All that matters in this case is speed and engine integrity.

3) A setting that achieves ~250whp. This would be my daily driver option. I ride an SV650 as a commuter so I don't have to worry about racking up a ton of miles quickly on my Civic, at least when there's not ice on the roads. (Idaho can get cold in the Winter)

Firstly, is this even possible? I haven't seen anywhere that could definitively tell me that multiple tunes with one setup was possible (Or I'm just too terrible with Google to find an answer).

Second, if I have near a thousand dollars extra when the time to swap arrives, where should I put the money. The engine would be out of the bay and easy to work on right before I swap it in, which would be ideal if I wanted to swap any internals out for aftermarket parts. Or do I invest in aftermarket axles, suspension, brakes, etc... I will make up my own mind as some may be hasty to criticize. I am here asking for advice based on personal experience. What would you do? I will do what I will do, but this forum will help me reach that conclusion.

I plan on having this car for as long of a period of time as possible, maybe till I die. Especially since I can rebuild/swap indefinitely when the engine/tranny wear down to nothing for almost the same cost as getting a used car with much more wear on it than I would have; should I rebuild/swap when the need arises. Any information you can supply will be more than greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to learning much more about Civics than I previously thought possible.

-L

Old 10-29-2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Logan Altom
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the site and just thought I might try and glean a bit of wisdom from those on here who have plenty of experience under their belt.

My wife ran my 96 Civic Ex Coupe out of oil early last year (2011). It still runs good with nearly 170xxx miles on it and the compression in all cylinders is great for the mileage and fact that it saw a couple weeks of poor/no lubrication.

In any case, I had originally planned to build the car when I purchased it. The date for swapping was further out in the future until the oil incident (she checks it every fill up now), but has now been put on the high priority list. I will be swapping in a B18 GSR engine in place of the Stock D16 this coming Spring.

I have researched the swap and found my abilities to be adequate. I have done all mechanical work on my Civic the past couple years I have owned it and recently rebuilt a '91 Hatch my youngest brother bought for a few hundred bucks. The '91 is running great compression on all four cylinders (only two fired when he bought it) and I was able to learn a lot and teach him a few things in the process of rebuilding it.

My questions stem from what to do when I initially swap in the GSR. I will be fitting it with a turbo once cash flow is adequate enough (could be awhile). I am aiming for quite unique setup with this build. I would like to attempt three separate settings.

1) A low boost tune that achieves the greatest fuel economy possible. I have read several articles in which a tuner achieved 40+ mpg. I would love to be able to have a low-boost setting that consumed less fuel and still provided power near stock levels. This particular setup would be run on trips to the city and back (80 miles round trip) or longer.

2) A tune that achieves 350-400whp. This would be my 'fun' tune and would be used very sparingly. All that matters in this case is speed and engine integrity.

3) A setting that achieves ~250whp. This would be my daily driver option. I ride an SV650 as a commuter so I don't have to worry about racking up a ton of miles quickly on my Civic, at least when there's not ice on the roads. (Idaho can get cold in the Winter)

Firstly, is this even possible? I haven't seen anywhere that could definitively tell me that multiple tunes with one setup was possible (Or I'm just too terrible with Google to find an answer).
Yes, it is possible. You would need a boost controller and an ECU you can plug into a laptop and load up a new tune. Boost controllers are easy to find and deal with and check out the Hondata s300 ecu. Remember, unless you are doing the tuning, you would be paying someone for all the tuning. That gets expensive, fast.

IMO, skip #1 and just run a low boost set-up for daily driving, and then a high boost set-up for when going to the track. Staying light on the throttle and staying out of boost will be just like driving the car normally. The 40+ mpg guy probably has a lot of tuning experience and leaned the hell out of his motor etc etc etc.

Second, if I have near a thousand dollars extra when the time to swap arrives, where should I put the money. The engine would be out of the bay and easy to work on right before I swap it in, which would be ideal if I wanted to swap any internals out for aftermarket parts. Or do I invest in aftermarket axles, suspension, brakes, etc... I will make up my own mind as some may be hasty to criticize. I am here asking for advice based on personal experience. What would you do? I will do what I will do, but this forum will help me reach that conclusion.
If you have extra funds, invest in suspension and/or tires.