Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Someone help me out here, give me some ideas!!! im new to this site lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 AM
HCF Member

oh, and if you do go the cheap kit route, i'd still recommend a cast iron manifold like mine, just to play it safe

Old 02-25-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by theblackpearl
but i'd disagree, ssac "used" to be ****. they've fixed a lot of their problems now. the mani's aren't thin as hell and light as a feather and don't crack as much. the turbos...all i gotta say is they're reliable, you just lose some spool time.
They're still junk. They always will be.

OP: Buy something worth buying. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Originally Posted by theblackpearl
on the other hand, i will somewhat agree, ssac is exactly the same as all the other cheap kits on ebay, so if you wanna go this route then buy it off ebay for as cheap as you can from a good rated seller.
The thing is though, a good rated seller isn't going to tell the quality of a car part. People leave feedback either when they get the item or when they install it.

If they leave positive feedback and the next day the turbo oil seals blow, the feedback doesn't change.

That being said, feedback isn't an indicator of durability of a product in the least.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
They're still junk. They always will be.

OP: Buy something worth buying. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

The thing is though, a good rated seller isn't going to tell the quality of a car part. People leave feedback either when they get the item or when they install it.

If they leave positive feedback and the next day the turbo oil seals blow, the feedback doesn't change.

That being said, feedback isn't an indicator of durability of a product in the least.
my point is that since all the parts are the same, you really don't have to know about the quality from the part they're selling (or more specifically, you don't need to believe their descriptions) but i use the feedback to know that i actually get the part fairly quickly. i always do research on the quality of the item before i order it so the feedback is only for customer service. am i confusing?? i had a hard time getting the wording for this reply.

and the chinese turbos recently have been doing pretty great, oil seals blowin has come down a lot, especially if you use an oil restrictor, which most kits come with one now too.

i won't say "do it right or don't do it at all is a bad saying" but different people have different definitions of right, and i wouldn't call buyin the ebay kit "wrong," i don't regret my purchase at all

Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 PM

this isn't meant to sound mean (but i don't know how to word it any other way), i'm just following up on your reply:

you either get lucky with ebay turbos or you don't. you got lucky.
i don't consider your kit junk, because it ended up working for you. i consider the ebay turbos as taking a big chance.

that chance i'm not willing to take and always recommend against people taking the risk. i like my car to be as reliable as possible. that's why i'm building my kit with all name brand proven parts, while still maintaining a budget.