Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Super and Turbo on K20

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Default RE: Super and Turbo on K20

FYI- a turbo AND blower on a car is referred to as twin charging the motor, Ive seen it done and it looks cool, but it is a lot of money spent on TWO systems when you could just as easily build one of the two systems well and outperform the two combined for less money. Superchargers- boost faster, but are not as easily (turning a boost ****) adjustable, but in my opinion more reliable. A turbo is easier to adjust and can be easier on the motor because it doesnt spool till later in the rpm band.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:20 PM
HCF Member

You forgot to mention that supers are parasitic.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:29 PM
HCF Member

parasitic?

Old 09-03-2006, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

They draw power from a belt that is driven by the crank, so in effect they are using a bunch of power to make some... they are very inefficient.

A turbo uses wasted energy (heat and exhaust flow) to make power.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:52 PM

True, but they also cause more heat in the engine bay then do blowers. To each his own, eh? Though I was talking to my cousin and he was telling me about a new turbo application that is applied further down the exhaust pipe towards the muffler which is then rerouted back up to the intake. Anyone else seen this? It seems as though it would not only help with the heat dissipation, but also create a more condensed air as it will be traveling further possibly cooling it in the process. Though I would not say that blowers are inefficient to the extent that they are worthless (which is what I feel you are implying) Why not just get rid of your ac unit thus eliminating the drag caused by the pulley and then running a blower, because the 3-4 hp isnt that big of a difference. Granted when your dealing with numbers below 150, so a 5 hp increase or decrease is noticable, a 50 horse jump wont be stifled by losing 5 hp at idle/ low range. Besides, a blower starts to boost instantaneously whereas a turbo needs to spool up and gain momentum. Blower may be harder on your starter and idle, but it is faster to act and creates less heat therefore making it the more efficient of the two, though for conservative driving aspects the less practical because of the constant/ difficult to adjust boosting.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:45 PM
HCF Member

That kind of system would create more lag.

Yes, the air comming back may have more time to cool, but so would the exhaust... you want the exhaust as hot as possible to keep the velocities at a maximum.

Plus, the longer charge piping would create more volume that would need to be pressurized, so more felt lag would be added.

Plus the fact that they're parasitic means fuel efficiency will suffer unlike turbos which tend to increase it if tuned for it.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

the most efficient way to decrece turbo lag IMO is using a small shot of nitrous...75...that will engage at WOT and cut off when you hit boost. i think it was tony who said he knew someone who did that.

buut i agree with marty. turbo lag on FWD = traction control...and a courtesy head start for the V6 stangs and f-bodies .