Non-Honda Discussion Discussion of all other makes and models takes place here!

HELP - Seafoam = Smog Check FAIL..!!???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 AM
HCF Member
Unhappy HELP - Seafoam = Smog Check FAIL..!!???

so just two days ago my brother ran a test and failed. so the following day i seafoamed his car after reading about all the successful smog tests related to using seafoam and figured it would be cake. when he came back his car produced even more emissions and failed again. his car was considered a "Gross Polluter".

we used half of the seafoam in the vacuum and half in the gas tank. i let the vacuum line take in some and throttled some to let it burn a little, then let the vacuum take it in until the engine stalled to let the seafoam sit for a bit. his car smoked when we did it but not even as much as mine, considering his is an older 87 accord vs. my newer 97 civic (ive seafoamed my car many times throughout the years to notice the difference). he drove it around for a bit too to flush out the seafoam but i noticed when he left there wasnt even that much smoke coming out of the back (told him to rev it higher than usual).

what i was thinking was that all the carbon related stuff wasnt flushed out yet by the seafoam. ive read other posts about this as well, saying that all the seafoam and the emissions with it has to be flushed out WELL BEFORE a smog test because the'll show and most likely fail a test. from the time we seafoamed it to when he retested it was about 24hr. for sure he drove more than 30 miles after we seafoamed it because he went to work and back the same day he retested it.

besides tuning and exhaust stuff such as the cat or O2 sensor related stuff this is all i can think of. i didnt check timing or related things yet which will be our next option. its an 87 accord, manual, no CEL. any type of advice would be great. thanks...

Old 11-20-2012, 05:31 AM

So were the spark plugs, and all that stuff replaced after seafoaming? It is highly recommended to replace that sort of stuff after seafoam.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

will give it a try. thanks..

Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 AM
HCF Member

I know this is an old post but Seafoam is awful to use. I had a converter issue after trying it a few years ago. I kept hearing all this good about it on another forum so I thought I'll check it out. Well it melted part of my converter. When I took it to the muffler shop that was owned by an old hot rod friend he took one look at the converter & said you must of been using Seafoam.