Non-Honda Discussion Discussion of all other makes and models takes place here!

What you guys think?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:52 AM
HCF Member
Default What you guys think?

Don't get me wrong. I love my Honda, and plan on autocrossing it this next season. But I have several friends around here who are into both the autocross and drifting scene. A buddy of mine has several, I think 4 corolla's and not to mention a plethora of parts for the 4AG including like 3 engines, ITB's you name it. My question is should I look around for a dirt cheap Corolla, and take my time in collecting slightly more expensive parts, of find a 240 and go the cheaper route. corolla chassis aren't that expensive, not as much as the 240's. and I like Corolla's more. What do you guys think?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 AM

I'd do a 240, but thats just me.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:21 AM

Well if you think you might be hooked on autox and would want to do it more, keep your civic and mod it. With the proper setup, it'll out handle the Corolla and for waaaay cheaper. In autox, the '89 Civic Si is the best ST* category car to have, they beat out all the other ST cars like STi's, Evo's and M3's a couple years ago at Nationals. You have the 91 DX which isn't quite as good but still a real great car for the sport. An autox/road race buddy of mine has an AE86 Corolla with ITB's, R-Compound tires, Koni/GC's, gutted, etc... On some of the smaller, tighter courses I'll beat him and usually on the more open courses he'll beat me. BUT, I'm on street tires in a slightly heavier car(full interior) and only ST prepped. Basically, the Corolla's aren't the best autox car. There's a reason no one brings them to Nationals.. BUT, if you are into drifting and think you might go towards that track more or want to do both, obviously the Corolla would be good. I don't know much about Corolla's or drifting but from what I've seen it seems like it takes a good bit of money and prep work to make a decent drift car out of them.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Drifting is the homoerotic bastard child of motorsport....but that's just me

Old 01-05-2011, 01:27 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Forty04
Drifting is the homoerotic bastard child of motorsport....but that's just me

haha have you ever done it?

I am going to keep upgrading my civic, first priority. Pretty much all suspension with a b swap way down the road. Yes Civic's, especially EF's for some reason are known for their handling ability. I want to do both. Civic would come first but I'd be slowly collecting parts on the side.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

Originally Posted by project91
I want to do both. Civic would come first but I'd be slowly collecting parts on the side.
This is the key line here haha id focus on your civic and get it ready for the autox next year like you were saying in your 1st post but if you have friends who have a lot of parts for corollas then go for them but if not id go the cheapest route (it depends on where you live and how available parts are for either a 240 or corolla).

I know that neither one would be very cheap in the general SA area cause parts are expensive but so would the corolla parts so id be fcked ha idk how it'd be for you, but i say get whatever would be the cheapest parts wise.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Originally Posted by project91
haha have you ever done it?
Have I ever done what? Driven a RWD car with the *** out? Sure, but not in a parking lot around a bunch of cones with the sole intent of wasting tires, like a goober.

If you want to get sideways, man up and hit the dirt/snow

Old 01-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by Forty04
If you want to get sideways, man up and accidentally break traction around turns.
Fixed. Well, at least it's fixed for how it applies to me anyway

Old 01-07-2011, 03:50 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Since i went TBE & Reflash, it actually applies to me as well from time to time.

Now i needs some suspenshunz so I aint gotta body roll the **** out of it before getting slideways

Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 AM
July 2010 ROTM

sebastian loeb on gt5 says sliding is slow. hes a world rally champion. drifting is sliding, therefore its slow. no such thing as a slow motorsport, unless you count a nascar roadcourse event.