August 4
0%
August 11
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

WDC, SoMD< NoVA Meet up for a cruise

Old 05-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Default WDC, SoMD< NoVA Meet up for a cruise

Not sure how many of your are familiar with the Western Area of Virginia (down off 66), but there's a fairly famous stretch of road that runs from Front Royal, VA down to Waynesboro, VA (about 105 miles) called Skyline Drive, which runs along the top of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Similar to The Dragon, only a lot longer road. I'm wondering if anyone might be interested in driving a portion of it starting in the Washington, VA area (VA Route 211) near Thornton Gap, and driving either North to Front Royal or South to Elkton or so, or to some intermediate point to return to our starting point.

It's about a 90 minute drive from the 495/66 crossing in Virginia, and on a nice sunny day, is a beautiful drive through the mountains.

I was thinking maybe doing it the last weekend of June (around my birthday).

Best idea would be meet up that Saturday morning (June 30) at Tyson's Corner Mall, and play follow the leader out there (I've got family with a house out around there, so I know the most direct route). Would be a day long thing, and possibly do it as a pot-luck-picnic at one of the pull offs along the road, or bring your own and everyone party type thing. Cruise back to our starting point or exit point, and return back to the highway and go our separate ways.

It's part of a National Park, so there'd be a $15 fee per car (allows unlimited access for 1 week to the entire park), and I'm pretty sure they don't allow alcohol. There are quite a few places to pull over and take in the views, and trust me, they are stunning.

Also, being as it's a curvy, twisty road, and there's some serious drop-offs along the side, as well as a large amount of wildlife in the park, there'd be a strict rule to go within reason on speed. This road is not to be taken lightly, there are a lot of switchbacks, deer, bear and other animals around, and they do stress that people not speed on it. I've driven portions before, and it's definitely a sub 45mph drive the whole way, more of a cruise with the windows down and enjoy the scenery type of thing, not a floor it as fast as we can down the road. The speed limit on the road is 35mph for a reason.

Also in that area, are the Luray caverns (one of the largest natural system of caverns in the US I believe, which includes a hedge maze &amp; car museum), as well as Virginia wine country (about 9 or 10 different vineyards/wineries for tasting).

If there's enough interest, I would say we could organize a meet, but I figure we'd need 6-10 or so to make it interesting.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Default RE: WDC, SoMD< NoVA Meet up for a cruise

Old 05-04-2007, 05:03 PM
HCF Member

count me in, I have family in Manassas, and i should be there around Mid-July, I know the area very well.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:35 PM
HCF Member

Are we the only two that are going to cruise around?

Old 06-14-2007, 04:35 PM

please let me know what are yall planning to do!!!!

Old 06-24-2007, 08:24 AM

I'd be up for some time in july think im goin to the beach the 30th

Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 AM
HCF Member

there is 4 people that posted and only 3 votes......vote or die!

Old 06-25-2007, 09:16 AM
HCF Member

Lets try for the end of July 21, thats when ill be there.....im movingto north carolinafrom Alaskaand i have family in manassas.