Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

BALL JOINTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Default BALL JOINTS

ok i hav an 89 crx and my ball joints are bad and i found a nice kit with the following components upper ball joints, lowers, outer tie rods, inner tie rods and sway bar links, im just wondering if anyone has a url to a site which could giv me ste by step hints and also do i need any special tools, perhaps a torch?thanx

Old 02-24-2008, 09:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: BALL JOINTS

I just finished changing my driver's side axle, upper and lower ball joints and outer tie bar and it was a pain in the **** getting the ball joints out and in. Damn, little buggers took the whole frigging day just to get them out. I rented Autozone's ball joint tool kit, but stupid tool was too damn big to be used on the lower ball joint, that I had to pretty much diassemble my whole knuckle and hammer the ball joint out. (I mean really hammer the **** out of it, I had to used that hammer tool that you used to get metal fence post into the ground in order to have enough force to get that sucker out[&:])

At first, I thought it was going to be an easy 4 hours job, since all you do is take the ball out and press the new one in. But it turn out to be 1 1/2 day job[:'(][:@].

Old 02-25-2008, 12:17 PM

just a tip, if the lower ball joint has the drilled bolt for a castelated nut and a cotter pin... dont hit the bolt from underneith or youll squash the bolt and not be able to put the nut back on so bang the out side of the joint, but ide try a picklefork first

Old 02-25-2008, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: slottieskim

just a tip, if the lower ball joint has the drilled bolt for a castelated nut and a cotter pin... dont hit the bolt from underneith or youll squash the bolt and not be able to put the nut back on so bang the out side of the joint, but ide try a picklefork first
Since branx is replacing the ball joints, it doesn't matter if he destroysthem on the process of getting themout.

And the picklefork sucks if you just want to disconnet the control arm from the ball joint.Damn fork I was using just got bended without even poping the joint off and in the process ittore the ball joint's rubber boot. But ehhh i was replacing the ball joint anyways so it didn't matter that it got destroyed[8D]