Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 11:25 AM
HCF Member
Default brake problem

hey guys, I've been having problems with my brakes ever since I got them replaced by a mechanic. The new brake pads sequeal a lot and requires me to push harder on the brake pedal to come to a complete stop. I know its the problem with the pads not the fluid because I checked the master cylinder and the brake lines and there is no leak. I went into honda's mechanic today and they said the problem could be due to the fact that I am using ceramic brake pads instead of organic. They say ceramic pads are less heat resistant so i have to push harder on the brake pedal to come to a stop. He recommends that I switch back to organic oem pads which will give it less noise and better stopping power... Is this true? I always thought ceramics were better pads... i mean what other options do i have? thanks guys

Old 11-16-2007, 11:48 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: brake problem

I agree that this is probably the issue. Ceramic pads may last longer and fade less on the track, but they tend to be a bit less "grabby" at normal speeds. Still, I haven't heard many people complaining about loud squealing when running ceramic pads. If the mechanic who installed the ceramic pads, recommended them, take your car back to the same guy and tell him you are not happy with them and that you'd like them replaced with OEM pads.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:54 PM

what brand/type pads? for ceramic pads, thats pretty normal. the squeal probably shouldnt be everytime u hit the brakes tho. if it is, the person who installed them may not have put anti-squeal paste on the backings. ceramic pads do have betterbite than organic.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:27 AM

I just installed rear brake shoes last night, and i drove around for abit.. and theres no squeeling.. dont know if its just for disk if thats what your talking about.. but it boosted my braking power and its not harder to press my pedal..