Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Break Pads how much it costs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Default Break Pads how much it costs?

Hi,

I have Honda Civic 2001 , and I hear nioce while applying Breaks, i think my break pads are worn out,and i haveto fix as its so annoying.

can somebody give me some estimate how much the auto shops charge for these kind of repairs.

Regard,
Anil

Old 05-04-2008, 01:10 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Break Pads how much it costs?

From my experience they will run about $150-200, but i would strongly suggest doing it yourself, you could get new rotors and pads for what a brake place would charge you for to replace the pads alone. it is one of the easiest repairs you can do and usually takes less time that changing your oil.

good luck.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:45 PM
HCF Member

Where do you hear the noise? The front or back?
If you don't have the knowledge or tools, don't mess with your braking system.
It's basically one of the most important components on your car.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:25 PM
HCF Member

I got my front brake pads replaced at some little auto shop. Bought duralast gold's at autozone for $35, got them installed for a few bucks, so no more than $45 total.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:17 PM
HCF Member

Brake pads are very easy to installed yourself. It shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes. All you have to do is remove your wheel and loosen one bolt on the brakes, slide out the old pads. Grease up the new pads where the cylinder hits it and on the edges where it sits (make sure you don't get any grease between the pads and rotors) and tighten the bolt back and your done

I really like the hawk pads, they cost a little more ($65) than the regulars one you will find like in autozone but they are worth it.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

you guys are forgeting..... if your hearing some noises or vibrations you might have to regrind or replace the rotors or drums.. easiest way to find out how bad it is, pull the wheel off and when the brakes are cool just run your fingers across each rotor, if you feel any dips or scratches then take them off as well and have a auto shop check the rotors, im not sure who all still turns rotors and drums.. and it just depends HOW BAD the drums/rotors are scratched up or warped...but for MAX BRAKING POWER you really need to have the rotors and drums smoothed when you replace the brake pads.
sometimes its just as cheap to replace the rotors and drums so price them.

i always do all my own brake work. but then again you do need some special brake tools for the rear to make it alot easier... its got a bunch of springs floping around. what i HIGHLY SUGEST is if you do it yourself, get a decent digital camera and snap a few pictures pf the brakes before you remove any springs! you can easily get confused as how everything was in there after you pull the springs out.... the springs and adjusters need to be in the same setup. ive gotten confused ALOT with brakes from not being sure how these springs and adjusters go back in so now i always take 4pictures of the brake internals, left side, right side and top and bottom. some cars are more complicated than others.

but brake replacement isnt shouldnt cost to much. but i would suggest you buy some good pads!!!!!! no one likes dirty brown wheels from brake dust!