Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brembo non factory drilled? dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Default Brembo non factory drilled? dangerous?

I was looking into Brembo rotors and noticed the various styles as far as slotted and drilled rotors. I read up on them and found out many Brembo brakes are drilled aftermarket, non factory, which weakens the integrity of the rotors.

Then I checked out Ebay and about half of the Brembo rotors have non factory drilled patterns. Basically, the seller is turning the $50 pair into the $150+ style of drilled or slotted.
Anyway, I'm saying be cautious of the good deal you are getting, or the pair you are rolling with. Check some of the larger distributors websites first to see whats actually factory drilled or slotted.

The results prove to be cracked, or broken rotors.
I had almost made my purchase, but something told me to check around first.
Anyway just thought you should know about this to save yourself money.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:10 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brembo non factory drilled? dangerous?

The drilled ones are more prone to crack, the warranty is void if you race with them. I think someone said that they have never seen a cracked drilled rotor. If i was gonna buy a performance rotor, i would get slotted. They give you the best of both, you have the heat dissipation of drilled rotors without the chance of cracking. And you prolly shouldn't buy a rotor that some guy drilled/slotted himself. Buy the rotors that Brembo has made drilled/slotted.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:28 PM

They look factory though, so research them, I'm going with slotted.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:25 PM
HCF Member

I have brembo drilled rotors, they work fine and havent cracked, ive had em for a long *** time.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:35 AM
HCF Member

i no a guy who had slotted and drilled roters on a accord (im not sure what kind) and he had them on for winters and summers and still has them and is really hard with them too..never had any problems, like i sead,he still has them

Old 02-15-2006, 10:21 AM
HCF Member

yea i go hard on mine, they work great.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:18 PM

I know Brembo makes a factory slotted, and a factory drilled, but the non factory style have a different pattern.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:51 PM
HCF Member

As long as you're not going from high speeds to 0 or very slow very quickly a basic set of brembo OE replacement rotars will do ya just fine. There isn't a need for drilled or slotted unless you're REALLY using them. Then what you really need are bigger brakes anyways.

Basically, just buy the ones from brembo for $50 and some nice pads and you won't be disappointed.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

drilled rotors are pointless, other than the fact that they weigh less. and if you truly think that the weight reduction from a few holes on a rotor will make a difference in overall weight then you are crazy. So with that being said drilled rotors are totally useless. Old brake pads from like 60 years ago used to emit a gas that would glaze the rotors over a short period of time. The holes would allow the gas to escape and increase the performance of the brakes. Now brakes pads no longer emit the gas rendering the drilled rotors as a "look" with no gains in performance. Now slotted rotors on the other hand actually serve a purpose by allowing heat to escape as the pad ran across it, but the downside is that you get less flat surface for the pad to grab. IMO if you want a rotor upgrade, just check and make sure they are VENTED

Old 02-16-2006, 12:31 PM

sucks huh

[IMG]local://upfiles/5236/C337DC50BFC64DF7A27C62C1439DF98D.jpg[/IMG]

btw look where the crack is at. i blame the drill hole