Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

camber kit fix for balding passenger tire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:35 AM
HCF Member
Default camber kit fix for balding passenger tire?

sorry for the confusing title but i got a passenger side tire that is wearing about 10x as fast as the driver side front. The alignment is way off because they didnt have it adjusted when they dropped the car and now its too low and with the body kit wont go onto an alignment rack. So im faced with finding a place with an in ground alignment rack (very hard and expensive) or doing it myself. Ive come down to probably doing it myself and i found somthing i might buy but i was wondering if it would make it easier. A Skunk2 pro series front end camber kit, both arms, 3 degree adjustability.

Its 202$ from andy's autosport and from skunk2 online. Should i get it?

Eric.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:20 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: camber kit fix for balding passenger tire?

Check your toe before you go adjusting camber.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:41 AM
Super Cereal Admin

is your body kit molded or something? Because if it isn't, why not just take the sides off at home, drive it to the shop, and take the front bumper off there (assuming it won't clear the rack)? I'm sure you know at least one person with a truck that could come with you to the shop and take you and your front bumper home. Chances are (unless you're rich and have all sorts of fun toys in your garage), you can't do anything about the toe yourself.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:57 AM
HCF Member

sadly the body kit is a little fubared, its got some custom (rigged by us) bolt points for the front bumper, one side skirt IS molded to the body, the other isnt and it fell of last time they tried to put it on the rack, and the back bumper isnt molded, i had thought about taking it all off too but i gotta drive an hour to any shop that can work with the car and i dont know how legal it is to drive around without bumpers and whatnot. Not only that but i'd be worried about my filter, radiator, and all that stuff.

and MXS is toe the adjustment from the bottom of the tire? I know on my race quad we run half a degree or so toe out making the top of the tire sit ever so slightly inward which lets my suspension work better.

Eric.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

Chances are (unless you're rich and have all sorts of fun toys in your garage), you can't do anything about the toe yourself.
Not true, you can check it with a piece of string. You just need to be on a really level surface. AJ did a writeup here: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_436246/tm.htm

Old 11-13-2007, 09:34 AM
HCF Member

IF you are still looking into adjusting your camber after you fix the problem with the toe...(not that you would even have to bother with it) I'd look into wicked tuning if you are looking at Skunk 2...the kit they had for my car was the same as skunk2 just blue instead of red...and it was a lot cheaper.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:31 AM
HCF Member

Heck, for 200 you could buy a set of those cheap coil springs... lift the car, pull it up onto th rack. Then lower it back down, aline it. Lift it back up and then pull it off.
And if youre wondering.... no, I am not serious.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you can adjust your own toe like STRING link above... camber is not wearing your tires its your TOE..... BUT you COULD get onto a alignment shop BUT youd have to build some ramps, depending on how low the car realy is..... but anyone can build thier own ramps with some 2x6 or 8s......
and hit the alignment shop up early in the morning when they arent busy and ask to build a ramp onto thier rack... ya dont have to screw it TO thier rack... just lay the ramp onto the thing.....
i had to do it when i got my black civic aligned.... tho i wasnt EXTREMLY slamed so just a few small boards did the trick..... might have to have a friend with a truck bring ya abunch of boards just slowly increase the ramp by layering up the boards, some nails or screws to hold the boards together....
and if the owner is REALY a cool guy you could ask for a discount if you left the ramps for them for future use... just a idea

Old 11-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 88civ

Heck, for 200 you could buy a set of those cheap coil springs... lift the car, pull it up onto th rack. Then lower it back down, aline it. Lift it back up and then pull it off.
And if youre wondering.... no, I am not serious.
i was about to say.... realy ya could......LOL
measure your cars height with your lowering springs..... then slap on those cheap coilover and set the cars height to EXACTLY how the car was with your springs.... and you could do it.......

would be quite a bit of work BUT would work lol