Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:45 PM
HCF Member
Post Coilovers

1997 Honda Civic with the following wheels and tires 17x7 40mm rolling on 205/40/17. There is some rubbing when going over bumps.

Heres a pic to give you an idea of what it looks like:

The tire is right under the fender, the only two options i see are rolling the fenders, getting coilovers, or spacers. My friend wants to upgrade his suspension anyways so he is looking at coilovers. What he is trying to accomplish is being able to take a full load where the spring is able to compress without rubbing. So what to go with:

1.) Coilovers (If he goes with this option can the ride height be set close to stock but with less compression?)
2.) New springs and struts with spacers. <- do they even make spacers for a 1997 honda?
3.) Fender Rolling.

Price range is $1000 if it can be done cheaper, then please do tell.

Last edited by maverick0923; 01-02-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:34 PM

roll the fenders

from the looks of it, if you put on spacers you're just gonna rub on the fender lip more

Old 09-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

get a better picture of the actual problem area... if its rubbing on the inner fender lip DEFINITIVE ROLL THE FENDER LIPS IN!!!!!!!
if it looks like this.... if it rubs to much it will slice right thru the tires sidewall!

Name:  winterrimsdone-6.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  42.6 KB

i had to roll mine on my 99 when i lowered it. BUT depending on how low ya go... ya might not need to roll the fenders if ya dont mind the gangsta tire lean... LOL SAY YES TO NEGATIVE CAMBER.
Name:  KONIGC-18.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  118.7 KB

roll the lips if ya dont like the gangsta lean.... look for a used one on ebay "Fender roller" use it and then slap it back up on ebay..... and youll get most of your money back. DONT DO THAT RENTAL CRAP ON EBAY! they want a EXTRA 200-300 dollar deposit. total BS IMO....

Last edited by addiction2bass; 09-18-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 PM

dont get cheap coilover, you will get crappy ride and lots of metal noise. im glad i changed to springs.. i like the tokico springs with koini reds..

Old 09-19-2008, 04:30 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
roll the fenders

from the looks of it, if you put on spacers you're just gonna rub on the fender lip more
Oops i didn't mean wheel hub spacers but i meant coil spring spacers which will prevent it from compressing all the way. Something like this:

Energy Susp Coil Spring Spacer - Black Polyurethane
1996-2000 Honda Civic
"ENERGY SUSPENSION POLYURETHANE COIL SPRING ISOLATOR SET, REAR, BLACK -- 2 3/4 Inside Diameter, 4 1/4" Outside Diameter, 13/16" Height, Made Of Unique And Technically Advanced Chemical Formulation Called Hyper-Flex, Levels Up Durability And Performance For Competition And Street Use, Resists Normal Chemicals Such As Oil, Coolant And Road Contaminants, Maintains Proper Component Alignment, Promotes Firmer Mounting, Restores Factory Appearance, With Manufacturer's Limited 2 Years Warranty"
Finish: Black
Material: Polyurethane"

Old 09-19-2008, 04:31 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
get a better picture of the actual problem area... if its rubbing on the inner fender lip DEFINITIVE ROLL THE FENDER LIPS IN!!!!!!!
if it looks like this.... if it rubs to much it will slice right thru the tires sidewall!

i had to roll mine on my 99 when i lowered it. BUT depending on how low ya go... ya might not need to roll the fenders if ya dont mind the gangsta tire lean... LOL SAY YES TO NEGATIVE CAMBER.

roll the lips if ya dont like the gangsta lean.... look for a used one on ebay "Fender roller" use it and then slap it back up on ebay..... and youll get most of your money back. DONT DO THAT RENTAL CRAP ON EBAY! they want a EXTRA 200-300 dollar deposit. total BS IMO....
I'll get a better picture today thanks for all the suggestions, and dam thats some lean lol.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:37 AM
HCF Member

you wasting tires like a mutherfer

Old 09-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by jrestrepo589
you wasting tires like a mutherfer
not me.LOL i rolled my fenders and have camber adjusters... thats just how that rear can sit droped low with no camber adjuster. i dont like the gangsta lean myself... but many others will rock it leaning hardcore like that with little problems! as long as the toe is set correctly and you rotate your tires regularly you shouldnt have much extra wear.
Name:  DSC00198-1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  118.3 KB

tho the camber is very close on the rear it will take more rolling to get them dead on!
Name:  6b056a47.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  52.0 KB
the wheel is only IF 1/8th inch away from rubbing the tire.LOL when i originaly rolled mine i just rolled that sharp edge up. since that sharp edge is what will chew right into the sidewalls!
but it does clear. i just have to roll the lips alittle further since i didnt roll them completly flat the first time.

i have a new fender roller to redo the lips more but i just havent done it yet since its not that big of a deal!

if you want to rent the roller from me i can rent it out to you. BUT youll pay more than you would brand new because i want that brand new price plus extra shipping to you! the tool is brand new!
i want 260bucks PLUS actual shipping charges to you, keep it for 2weeks tops and you pay for shipping back to me and then i refund 220bucks back to you as long as the tool is not broken and screwed up of course. if you break it you bought it! or if you dont return it in the 2weeks you bought it.

ill drop my deposit fee down alittle after its been used a few times. but right now its brand new!

Last edited by addiction2bass; 09-19-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:43 AM
HCF Member

maverick! how much did you lower your car?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 AM
HCF Member

i had adapters on my car for like 2 dayscause i bought the wrong wheels and it made it HORRIBLE they were 17"s too.... get some none rice wheels and lower it so then it rubs (:

Quick Reply: Coilovers