Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Which coilovers for a '94?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Default Which coilovers for a '94?

Well, my "new" Civic is presenting itself with a lot of things that I want to change. The front suspension is so low that when I hit a bump in the road on my way to work the tire bounces up into the ridge inside the fender well. It's chewed through a brand new Yokohama ES100 tire on the front right, so I think it's time to raise the car up with something adjustable. For now this car is my DD, but I have future plans for a Vtec head for the B18B and a turbo kit and I'd like a well rounded car that can swing through the mountain passes as well.

I currently have KYB struts with Skunk2 springs (I think.) The springs are red, but I can't find a brand label on them anywhere. I'm guessing there's a 2" drop F/R on the springs, whatever brand they are.

Anywho, I'm looking for a full coilover damper kit, and my budget has me debating between these four:

Tein Basic
Tein SS
Skunk2
Megan Racing

If anyone has some feedback on any of them, please let me know!

I've searched high and low for the specs on the Skunk2's but I turn up empty handed every time. I'm leaning heavily toward the Tein Basic at this point, but I may spring the extra $150 for the Megans because I love them on my Evo.

Thanks!
-D

Old 12-10-2005, 02:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Which coilovers for a '94?

2" shouldn't be rubbing, and if it's bouncing, it's not your springs that are the problem. That's gonna be your struts. Why not get some new struts and save yourself some dough?

Are you sure your springs weren't cut? Is your tire tucking?

But if you are set on getting a new system, you can't go wrong with any of those.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:57 PM

Well, I really don't think it's a blown strut. The bumps I'm driving over are pretty violent. Though, from the looks of the wheel well it's been rubbing under there for quite a while. The driver's side front is doing the same, but not as bad and it hasn't started chewing up the tire yet. Like I said though, I have no idea what springs I've got. It could be a 2.5" drop. Until I take it off I won't know what I've got. doh! I figure if I'm gonna spend money on something to fix it I'll just get what I want.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

have you looked at the Tokico Illumina R HPKs? if youre not going to be tracking your car more than an occassional auto-x, those would be perfect, and cheaper than the Teins. and S2 springs are made by a different company, so from what I have seen, the quality is not quite on par with the rest of their parts. they are still pretty good, but not quite what you expect from Skunk2.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:44 AM

I found a set of Tein SuperStreet coilovers on eBay for $400. I'll post up after I get them in to give my impressions of them.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:52 PM

Holy crap, almost a month later I get the coilovers...

They look nice, and the fronts have the spindles already attached. I'm missing bolts from the spindles on my car so I will be using the ones on the Teins (and it might make the install easier anyway.) I can't wait to get them on the car. I also ordered a new tire which has come in as well. *sigh* But now that I have the coilovers I want to get some new wheels, haha. Go figure.