Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Coilovers??? what do they do

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 02:16 AM
Default Coilovers??? what do they do

Hi all, i seen some decent looking coilovers on ebay but i dont know what they do and why would you fit them...around 60 gbp for a set with adjusters, good price or not and what do i need to do to fit them, its a 1993 civic 3dr 1.6 esi auto, D16Z6. Is it worth fitting these to my car???

spevie, just finding out new mods everyday...

Old 10-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Default RE: Coilovers??? what do they do

whatever you do don't by ****y coil over from ebay under $100 remember you pai for what you get

now it depend what you want with the car and what you re gonna do with it......if i were i'll check for the TEIN'S super street....around $850

Old 10-29-2004, 03:18 PM
HCF Member

think about it... ebay coilovers $60. TEIN coilovers $900.

There's a reason, like said before... you get what you pay for. Coilovers replace your springs and are adjustable so that you can adjust the height of your car whenever you want.

Old 10-30-2004, 12:09 AM

R, i see, i know you get wot you pay for hence the question...so you adjust the height of the car from the road, cool but i suppose you need to know whats the max n min on heights before you affect the handling of the car.....

spevie, PS, wont be getting the 60 quiders from ebay 4 sure...value my life to much to take the risk.....Cheers all.

Old 11-12-2004, 02:56 PM
HCF Member

There are two types of coil overs. The cheap kind is an alluminum (usually) threaded sleeve that goes AROUND your damper. The threaded sleeve is what you use to adjust the height of your car. I would not recommend getting this. In the more expensive kind there is no sleeve and the threads are part of the damper.

Also, coilovers in general are kinda stupid. From your post, I get the feeling you think you can adjust the height of the car from the raod. In order to adjust the height, you have to jack up each end of the car and adjust it manually, counting the number of turns. It is a huge pain in the *** and people who have coilovers NEVER adjust them. Just get lowering springs. This is my recommendation.

Old 11-12-2004, 03:03 PM

also I heard that in cold weather, the coilovers lock up or freeze up.

Old 11-12-2004, 03:10 PM

yeah the threads on the coil overs are kinda sorry cuz they can get crap on them from the road and get jammed up, needing cleaning if more adjustments are to be made, also you have to let new springs settle then adjust them up leading to camber problems when you are too low on big wheels, thats what my issue was on 17's, so if your gonna drop NO DROP SPRINGS, coilovers definately, but use new springs, and get a camber kit, I dont like drop springs too bouncy, coilovers are nice a firm without bouncing around the chasis. I have ground control coilovers, and an ingalls camber kit, 17's for wheels with 205-40 tires and about 1 finger between tire and wheel well, many people talk to me about my drop cuz it looks so good

Old 11-12-2004, 06:37 PM
HCF Member

what do you mean by coil overs being more firm and less bouncy? Coil overs use the same springs as regular lowering springs. In fact your ground control coil overs come with Eibach springs. I could be wrong tho, it has been a while since I looked at springs.

You can buy springs with differnt spring rates and properties. The "firmness" and "bounce" you are referring to all depends on what spring you get. Some are softer and some are firmer. The bouncyness is also affected by your dampers but we are assuming the same dampers here and only comparing coil overs to lowering springs.
Basically, the firmness and bouncyness has nothing to do with whether it is a coilover or a lowering spring.

Of course, with coilovers you have the option to PRELOAD your springs (more or less) in order to change the properties (firmness and bounce). But, preloading your springs also drops your car more than you may intend to.