Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Compliance Bushings - Total DIY newb here

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Default Compliance Bushings - Total DIY newb here

Hey,
I own a 01 honda civic, I'm just about to hit 100k miles. I took it to the shop recently to get the defective airbag replaced and while I was there they did an inspection. They returned a whole list of things I ought to have done, and on it are compliance bushings.

I'm fixing to drive from Vegas to Orlando (2300 miles) and would like to avoid damaging my car during the ride (or before it lol) so I think this is something I need to have replaced.

Unfortunately the shop wants ~$600 and the lowest I've seen people say they have gotten it done for while looking around the 'net is $400.

I'm not particularly mechanically inclined and I know very little about cars (VERY little). I wouldn't mind spending a couple of hours figuring it out if it is going to save me some money (and maybe be useful in the future)..

So my questions:
Is this a job a newb can do or should attempt?
I have no tools, what tools do I need and any idea on how much $ they will cost?
I heard the bushings cost like $25 each or so?
I heard if I can get the control arm off I can take it to a shop and they will take out/put in the new bushing for like $20. Is this the best way to go?

Thanks a bunch everyone.