Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Custom Ground Control spring rates too high?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:18 PM
HCF Member
Default Custom Ground Control spring rates too high?

I need to know if 400 front and 450 rear Ground Control spring rates (on konis) is too high for a DD/Weekend Autox car? Would it be hell to drive as a DD?

Old 03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Default RE: Custom Ground Control spring rates too high?

im on 450/550 driving everyday without much problem. its rough at first but u kinda get used to it, key word kinda lol. for daily i set the Konis to their middle setting, for autox ill bring them up to 1/4 from full setting(never set the Konis all the way up unless u want to blow them alot faster). just avoid the potholes, uneven surfaces, bumps, etc and it wont be a bad ride.

do u have a rear swaybar?

Old 03-16-2008, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

I see, I guess Ill just deal with it then haha. I wont have a sway bar for the first month while driving with the new suspension. How come you ask?

Also, what are these needed for?

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=647/CA=5

Old 03-16-2008, 05:45 PM

i ask about the rear swaybar because ur car will tend to oversteer a little with higher spring rates in the rear. if u add a rear sway, even more likely to swing out. im sure u'll be fine, but when u get the rear sway, u may need to take a little extra precaution driving on the streets. taking a turn to fast and having to hit the brakes would cause the back end to break loose and u could end up in a hairy situation. just learn the car and find its, and ur, limits.

the extended top hats allow for more shaft travel on the shocks to prevent hitting the bump stops too early. more shaft travel is good. if you plan on lowering your car alot, u'll probably need them.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:28 PM
HCF Member

Wow so a rear sway may not be the best idea for stiff rates? To be honest, I only thought about getting one cause I thought it would help out alot and everyone else seems to have one. But for autox, does the rear sways cons out weigh its pros?

Here is a list of things I am thinking of getting,some may just be gimmicks..I dont know.

*Koni Yellows
GC Coilovers
*Skunk2 Pro-plus front camber kit
Blox rear toe
Skunk2 LCAs
*OEM trailing arm bushings
*H-brace
Frame Locks
Fender brace
Password:JDM 3-point engine bay brace/4-point trunk
ASR subframe brace
*J's Racing C-Pillar brace
Sway bars
*Falken Azenis RT-615

* = bought

Old 03-16-2008, 06:47 PM

no, a rear sway bar isnt a con, its a very good thing to get. the oversteer im talking about is just what u need for autox, u want the car to rotate, not understeer. im just saying u need to be a little more careful on the street. just about all cars from the factory will be built to understeer because its safer for the average driver. what your doing will be the opposite of factory specs and causing the car to oversteer. until u learn the cars handling charateristics and how to avoid and correct oversteer, just be a bit more careful on the streets.

as for ur list, throw out the toe adjuster, frame locks, and fender brace. u can adjust ur toe enough currently, stiffening the front end of the car isnt exactly ideal, will just cause more understeer which u dont want. those parts arnt worth the money and will end up just dead weight. dont get a front swaybar, u dont need it. deciding to get 3pt and 4pt strut bars depends on what class u want to run in for autox. STS does not allow for 3pt and 4pt bars, only 2pt. if ur not in STS class currently due to some other mods(like engine swap or w/e), then u can run them.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

cool thanks for the info man.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:04 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Too stiff, you should give them to me for free [8D]

JK, listen to that guy ^